Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 TOM AXLES

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

BEING NEW TO WHEELING, I ASKED WHERE TO START ON MODS. MOST EVERYONE SAID AXLES. MY LOCAL SALVAGE YARD HAS A 1 TON 14BOLT FULL FLOATING, AND A DANA 44 WITH 4:10 GEARS. THEY WANT $800.00 IS THAT A FAIR PRICE ?????? IF NOT, WHAT WOULD BE A FAR PRICE ????? SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS, CAPS LOCK NOT WORKING, CAN'T SHUT THEM DOWN.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You can find them cheaper. I got my 14bff for $200, and you can find D44's for $250 and up. 4.10 is a good ratio, but $800 is a little steap unless they are in really good shape. Also a D44 isn't a 1 ton front end, its the 3/4 ton. A D60 is the 1 ton. They usually start at $1000 each though. A D44 axle can handle alot of good wheeling, and can be made to handle tires up to about 38". You should already have a D44 in the front of your truck, and you can convert that to the 8 lug bolt pattern to match a 14bff alot cheaper then buying a new one. I am currently converting my 1/2 ton front end to 8 lug, and it will only cost me around $200-250 with all new wheel bearings and all parts needed for the swap. So you might consider just buying the 14bff and converting to 8 lug until you can get the money for a D60, or if you don't plan on running tires over 35-36" not switch at all.

3. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Keep an eye on the local want ads. With some luck you might be able to find a complete 3/4 ton rolling chassis/body for under $800. You can take the parts you want, and salvage the rest. Or, you could transfer your old parts over, and sell the roller for about the same money that you paid for it.

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Look and ask around locally if you can.

I have found them from farmers and some oil well businesses before.

The cheapest I ever paid for a matching pair D60 and 14FF was $250, for the pair!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Where is one of those smiley faces flipping the bird when you need one. J/K /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Over on POR. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif