Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1-ton 2wd crew cab questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Sep 3, 2002.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I've got a couple questions concerning a 1-ton 2wd crew cab Chevy I know of, assuming all the parts are usable.

1.How long are the rear springs and could you use some of the leaves out of them to make a semi-custom rear leaf spring? (with a shackel flip of course)

2.Could you use the steering box for cross-over steering and possibly a hydrualic setup down the road?

3.Could you use the front brake rotors and calipers to convert the rear axle to disk brakes, either using the rotors on it or getting caddy calipers for the e-brake? If so could you run a 15" wheel on both applications?

4.Will I have to relocate shock mounts and spring pads on the rear 14bff? Whats the difference between a 3/4 ton 14bff and a 1-ton 14bff?

I think that's it for now, however I may have more /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Thanks guys!!

2. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

#1 - the springs should be 56" and should work if they give the height you want, if you move the spring hanger back 4".
    #2 - The 2wd box is what you want for crossover. Check the fittings though. I believe in '80 they switched from standard to metric.
    #3 - The rotors won't work. They are one with the hub, whereas the 4wd are separate. I had a set off a 3/4 ton that I thought I might do this with, they went to the scrap yard. I'm going to use the calipers for the core charge when I get around to doing the rear disc.
    #4 - The 1ton had narrower spring perches. The frames were the same width, the hangers were narrower. I changed the shock mounts on my 3/4 ton rear because they hung too low.
    Does the truck have hydroboost brakes? Might be something you want also.

3. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status