Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 ton axle for $300?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by meatloafK5, Jun 17, 2002.

1. meatloafK5

meatloafK5 Registered Member

Hey guys/gals you might know this one.....I was at my local junk jard &amp; found a complete 1 ton rear axle with 410 gears from an old '78 Chevy 3500 pickup (with single wheels not dually.) All this for $300. Is this a good deal? And has anyone else used them in a Blazer? Thanks. <font color="black"> </font color>

2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Depending on your area it may or may not be a good deal. We can get them cheaper here in Missouri, but I cant tell how cheap!!!

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Thats what they go for around here. The real question is, How much can you get the front for?

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

$150 in vegas. i don't know what they go for here in AK (i'm on vacation)

5. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

It kind of depends - is it from a true 1 ton truck? If it is, then the spring perches will need to be moved for it to bolt in to your Blazer. This will cost you either your own time (which might=$$) or cost you to have someone else cut them off and re-weld them on for you, which will cost $$. Also, is the axle in running condition? I mean, with maybe just a gear oil change, would it be ready to go? Or is it gonna need new seals, bearings, ring gear, etc? If it needs work, then there goes more $$! I think $300 is high unless it is ready to swap right in with no changes...(which I admit is hardly EVER the case!) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Good luck with it, I hope it works great for you!

6. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Sounds kinda high. The 3/4 ton axles can be found around here for $100-$200 and those already have the correct spring perches.

7. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

That would be a decnet price for around hear, I had a bone yard try to charge me $350 for a 10 bolt hear in Maryland. i cant wait to get outof this state.
    Ike

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

If you are looking for a 14FF to install in your '84 Blazer, try to find a 3/4 ton 14FF instead.

The 3/4 ton rear will bolt right in place of your current axle. It will need no modifications to make the springs fit and shocks, too. Just bolt it in and go.

The 1 ton 14FF requires more work to make them fit the Blazers. If it were me, I would pass on this and try to find a 3/4 ton to make the transition easier. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

9. meatloafK5

meatloafK5 Registered Member

Thanks for the prices and the ideas, now I have some more thinking to do. I think I might just go with the 3/4 ton 14FF instead. Thanks!
    CS

10. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You might send Wayne a PM as he knows of or can find you the correct 14FF you will need. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif He's up in Gettysburg, PA. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

11. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Thanks Wes.

12. efilnikufecin

efilnikufecin 1/2 ton status

i know in michigan they get top dollar for rear 10 bolts because there getting kinda scarce around here.lots of 1/2ton chevy owners wiping out the little 10 bolts and buying them up like hot cakes.i think i could probaly get a 14 bolt cheaper than a 10 bolt in these parts.believe it or not?

13. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah, the yards around here get around $500 for a 10 or 12 bolt rear. I went through three of them before even seeing how much the heavier stuff was. I would have been ahead just to do it in the first place.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

1 ton FF requires more work, but has much bigger brakes than the 3/4 ton. When I go FF, I'm going to go discs, so I'll use a 3/4 ton one, but if I was going to stay drum, I'd snag the one out of my C30, do spring pads/mounts and slap a Detroit in her call it a day.

15. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If 10-bolts are in such demand here in Michigan, why won't somebody buy mine? It is taking up space in my garage.

I think we have the worst prices on used parts here in the state that makes the cars. I searched a long time for axles and got usually around $300 for 10-bolts, $600 for any rear from a 3/4-ton and $900 for any rear out of a 1-ton. That must be why the yards all have so many of them!