Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 ton axle swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BI U JIMMY, Jul 3, 2000.

1. BI U JIMMY

BI U JIMMY Registered Member

I am considering changing my 1/2 ton running gear to a Dana 60 up front and GM 14 bolt FF in the rearand I was wondering what kinds of mods am I looking at for my 78' Jimmy. I have noticed that a lot of you run these axles and any help would be greatly appreciated. What size rims are you able to run with these axles. (can you run 15" rims?) Also what driveshaft mods are in order to complete the swap. I plan to put a 6" lift on soon and will swap the axles then. I am in the middle of a full blown body off resto of my Jimmy and would like to do the job right. Thank you in advance and am looking forward to hearing from you guys

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Both axels will bolt right up. You will have to replace the front brake lines as the calipers are different. On the rear you will have to use the E-Brake cables from a 3/4 ton pickup (or a 1 ton for that matter...no dualie) or you will have to use the backing plates off of a 14SF axel. The D60 is EXPENSIVE...I am going with a D44 up front and Chrome moly axelshafts. The standard rim size is 16.5" but I have heard of people using 16" and 15" rims I cant verify if they will work. Also a special U joint will have to purchased for the rear to accomodate for the difference in yoke size between the 1/2 ton axel and the 14FF.
    Good Luck
    Brent

3. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

A Dana 60 in front will reduce ground clearance and increase unsprung weight. I chose to beef up my 10 bolt front. Many options exist to beef it. Works for me. In Back, I run a Dana 60 full floater. The center hole on stock Chevy 8lug 16" steel wheels is too small (thinking of spare tire). Need Ford wheels if you want steel nonspoker wheels 8on6.5. Most aluminum 16" aftermarket wheels will fit a full floater. If you do go-large in front, and like 15" wheels, plan on grinding the caliper casting. 15" will not fit a full floater rear AFAIK. Look for a 14 bolt FF. There are
    both semi, and FF versions. HTH.

SteveB

4. BI U JIMMY

BI U JIMMY Registered Member

thanks alot for the help on this. This site is great and I have learned a lot reading all the posts. The info has already saved me money and guided me in the right direction on my project.

5. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

15" rims will work under these conditions. #1 you will have to grind the front calipers down so the rim will fit. This will require removing approximately 1/4" of material. Still plenty left. #2 a 15" rim will fit if you obtain the 14 bolt from a 3/4 ton. These have 11" brakes so rim fitment will not be a problem. Also the spring perches will line up. On a 1 ton you will have to relocate the spring perches. Shop around and try to find the gear ratio you are looking for. This is a huge expense unles of course money is no object. Drive shafts are about the right lengths both in front and rear, however you will need conversion u-joints unless you get new drive lines made up. Have fun with your conversion and don't be afraid to get your hands dirty! Take care... Todd

"You're right... I don't understand that Jeep thing!"

6. dpearson

dpearson Registered Member

I have a 14ff off a 81 k-30 and it will require moving the spring perches so be careful when shopping. Has anyone done this because I have not attempted it yet and was wondering whether I should try and find a 14bolt off a 3/4 ton Suburban.

7. Tommy

Tommy 1/2 ton status

I removed and relocated mine, no big deal, just a little grinding. If your careful, they will clean up and be reuseable.

8. dpearson

Tommy,

Did you just remove the perches or the shock mounts also, and how did you cut them so you were able to reuse. thanks in advance

9. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

My 14ff lines up perfectly...Is yours a D70 or somthing, I know they have wider spring perches..just take a tape measure and find out..mine is the same measurements

10. Tommy

Tommy 1/2 ton status

I used a thin grinding wheel on an air grinder, I did not grind all the way through the weld, it will break off with a 2# hammer once you get down enough. I also had to relocate the shock mounts. Once you break them loose you can clean the perch up with grinder to get it ready to reweld.

11. dpearson

Thats great news thanks for the info. One last question, did you just make measurements or tack weld them in place and bolt it up first before completing the weld. Thanks again.

12. Tommy

Tommy 1/2 ton status

I left the truck up in the air, put the axle on jack stands where I could center it and set angle on pinion, then welded it up.