Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 ton axle swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chris Demartini, Aug 2, 2000.

1. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue> the drivetrain we are swapping into my dad's 81 K10 came from a 1983 GMC 1 ton truck. The dana 60 front end measures up to be a direct bolt in with sway bar brackets and u bolts from the 1 ton truck. The rear (14 bolt full float) spring perches do not line up with my 1/2 ton spring location. (too narrow). we spoke to Dave at Grizzly 4WD in Madison NJ who builds some of the trucks featured in Fourwheeler and other mags and he has not had this problem with the rear spring perches. Also, the 1/2 ton truck came with a SM465/NP208 combo, and we are putting in the SM465/NP205 slip-yoke (from the 1 ton truck). Quick measurments show the transfer case from the 1-ton to be in a different location then the NP208. The crossmember matches up, but this would mean new driveshafts. Any input on this swap is appreciated. We are also planning to convert it to crossover at the same time. Will the stock dana 60 steering arm bolt onto passenger side steering knuckle? We have a 2WD box to use for the conversion. Will the power steering lines bolt up to the box, or will we need to swap the steering shaft from the 2WD box into the 4WD box? Will we need a master cylinder from a 1-ton for this conversion?

[​IMG]
    </font color=blue>

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue>Updated!</font color=blue>

2. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

The rear spring perches didn't line up because its from a one ton truck.The same axles in 3/4 ton trucks bolt right in.No big deal i think on off.road.com the did some nice perchs out of square tubing.I don't think the master will have too be changed many have done this swap with out it and it works fine.The 2 wheel drive steering box should bolt up just take a picture of yours with you too make sure they are the same.

3. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

The stock steering arm will bolt to the right side knuckle for crossover steering but will not work properly. You must get a different arm, and a different pitman arm for the 2WD steering box. Call Parts Mike (530-885-0673) for these two arms. He's the cheapest out there and makes good stuff.

ken