Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 TON AXLE SWAP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DPI, Oct 4, 2000.

1. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Well, I am starting on the upgrade this weekend. I am replacing the front and rear 30 spline 3.73 10 bolts with an open Dana 60 front and a 14 bolt FF rear with factory locker from a 1981 K30 with 4.56s. I wanted to know if anyone has done this recently and what kind of roadblocks I may run into. I know I will need the trick 1310 to 1350 u-joints and new u-bolts with locking nuts. What else am I going to need? Brake lines? Steering components?
    If anyone is interested in the 10 bolts let me know, I may consider selling them and the 31x10.50x15 tires, 15x8 rally wheels and some 15x7 factory aluminum wheels.
    I will eventually replace my 700R4 and NP241 with the SM465 and NP205 combination from the K30, (that is if I make it through this one).

2. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

You wanker. You found your 1 ton stuff huh. Damn I'd be over to help, but my wife is kinda upset that I've spent the last week in the garage rebuilding the 14 bolt for my rig. Let me know how it turns out, and if you find another deal on a 1 ton, let me know

Kyle
    89K5

3. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

You need nothing else other than what you mentioned. Oh, and you DID get the spring plates for the front and rear ends, right? Those are obviously different. I can't remember what year they changed the rear e-brake cables to the longer (later model) style, so that may be an issue.

ken

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Don't you have to move the spring perches for the rear 14 bolt? I thought 1 ton 14bolt FF weren't direct bolt ins on 73' and up K5s. 3/4 tons would bolt right up, right? I'm not sure with the D60 though. Could you use the same steering arm as the one on your 10 bolt? Oh, and what about the rear shock mounts? I think you have to move them as well. I'm doing this in the near future and am trying to gather as much info as possible.
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

5. If your truck is lifted you'll need a spacer for the steering block.
    Good luck

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

6. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

You have to move the spring perches if you use a dually 14 bolt. The single wheel one ton 4x4 will bolt directly up, except for the shock mounts will probably have to be relocated, I forgot about that. I was curious about the brake lines and steering components. Does anyone know if these will need some modification?

7. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Nope, all one tons, dually or single, will have to have the perches moved. One tons have a one inch narrower perch width, due to the spring hangers being different than 1/2 or 3/4 tonners. Also, the one tonners shock mounts are both in the wrong location. Best thing is to find a 3/4 ton rear, itsa direct bolt in, and sell the one ton 14 Bolt. The steering drag link you presently have will bolt DIRECTLY to the one ton's steering arm on the Dana 60. If you're lifted, you will need a steering arm block or a drop drag link.

ken