Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 Ton axles for a daily driver?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chris87K5, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Chris87K5

Chris87K5 1/2 ton status

Ok, I'm about ready to start doing some mods and I need everyones opinion. I plan on lifting 4" and I want to run 35's but I know I'm gonna need to regear. So my question is this: Should I regear my 10 bolts or get the 1 ton stuff with the gears I need? It is my daily driver and I do wheel it but not hard (occasional mudhole and/or hillclimb). I know the weight difference and I really don't want to see a dramatic change in gas mileage. I am leaning toward just regearing my 10 bolts because I have never had problems with them as of yet and I know alot of people that run big tires (35"+) and they don't seem to have problems either. I know this has been covered many times before and I have read alot of the other posts, but I just wanted to get everyones opinion organized in this one post. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Well, my rig is mostly like yours, it has a 6" lift though, 35" BFG muds. Daily Driver and weekend mudder (i guess)

I put 4.56 gears into my 10bolts and thye have held up perfectly fine for over a year and a half. I am now upgrading to 14bff rear and 8lug 3/4 ton front cause i want to upgrade to 37 or 38

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

The 1-ton converson would be too costly for what you are doing. IMHO, 3/4 ton is where you should be headed. I like the idea of the uber-strong 14BFF in the rear of any wheeler. you can make it home with a front busted axle, but a SF rear with c-clips won't get you home.

4. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Second what Zakk said - 14FF in the rear since they are cheap. Peace of mind and you can HAMMER it off of stoplights with your 35s. Not advisable with the 10 bolt.

And you will not need super-strenght in the front in a daily driver.

Mudholes and occasional hillclimb would not warrant a D60 unless you have lotsa $$$ or get a GREAT deal.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I bought a set of 3/4 ton axles (only 373's gears in them, buy will work for what I'm doing) for $250.00 . So there are good deals on 3/4 ton set ups out there.

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I would go with a 3/4 ton set up if your not planning to wheel it hard. Not sure on the cost of regearing for you but it will most likely be cheaper to swap axles with the gears already in them instead of regearing. BTW where in Pa are you?

7. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Dropping money into a 10 bolt rear is like investing in Enron.. 14 bolt and be done with it.

8. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Put a 14bff in and convert the front to 8 lug. Or try the adapters to make the 14bff 6 lug if you really like the wheels you have. I know they are available from somebody on here. You can add discs to the rear 14bff to save a little weight and improve mileage. The most common ratios in 14bff were 3.73 and 4.10. 4.10, 35's and 700r4 is a good combo for a driver. A c clip axle like the 10 and 12 bolt are hard to get home if you break an axle or carrier. I have experienced the wheel, brake and axle passing you on the road scenario. Not a fun deal.

9. Chris87K5

Chris87K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    BTW where in Pa are you?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I am about 45 min west of State College