Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 ton axles on 35's ??

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Klef72K5, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

Is anyone running 1 ton axles on 35's with a 4 " lift. This is the setup I'm wanting to run and I want to be sure that 4" is enough. Anyone have pics?

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

close.
    1 ton, 6"front/8"rear springs, 1" ord body pucks, i run 35" BFG's on the street and 38" TSL offroad.. I can tell you that i can still rub my 35's without fender hacking... still need to trim some more.
    You can find pics by following my profile links. :thumb:

Theres a lot of pics of guys running 4" lift and 35's but not on 1 ton axles. :grin:

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

The problem is more about clearance UNDER THE TRUCK than it is about fenderwell clearance with your proposed setup!!!! :cool1:

That 14BFF is a massive pig, and with "only" a 35-inch tire you will really be losing ground clearance. I don't recall all the axle-centerline measurements off the top of my head, but I'll betcha that 1-Tons & 35's has LESS clearance than a 12-Bolt & 33's.....

Just out of curiousity, why are you planning a 1-Ton swap for 35's? It's a lot of money to spend if you aren't planning on larger tires later on....

:thinking:

4. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

35's

Greg, this is going to be on street and sand. The reason for the 1 tons is for the future of a Ramjet 502. I'm not wanting it any higher than it already is. I was told that it has a 6" lift, the front spring hanger has been moved foward and welded, so I really don't know what lift they have on it. I plan on putting the hanger back where it belongs, hoping it will cure some other problems (I think the spring tension is different from left side to right).

What size lift and tires did you have on yours before you put on the 38's? I'm wanting mine to look something like what yours use to look like in your photo album.

5. Greg72

The oldest photos show the K5 with a 4" lift (springs/blocks) and a 2" body lift. The tires were 35's but the true measured diameter was only 33".

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

This is me next to Greg

I have a rear D60 and front D44, so I'm not a true 1ton but my tires are 35"SSRs. Front is 4" Rancho, rear is 5.5" Superlift and a 3" body lift
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hope this helps

7. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

Looks like I will need a 6" lift. I don't want to put on a body lift, although I may need to replace the body mounts with either poly or rubber.

I still haven't decided what manufacture of lift I want. I hear alot about Tuff Country. I was looking at BDS but I beleive they only have 4" lifts for our Blazers. Any comments on this?

While I'm getting opinions..... Where or who did you guys get your rear disk brake set up from for a 14ff?

8. Nicks 72

Nicks 72 Registered Member

Burt I like your bumper. Is that a warn classic? If so was it made for the 67-72s because I dont see a listing for them on Warns site. They only start at 73-80. Does anyone know which classic bumper would go up to a 72 and look right? I dont care about making brackets but I want the buper to flow right with the front end without altering it(espec. if I have to buy it new).
    Thanx for your help.Nick

9. Greg72

Body lifts get a bad rap, but that's something everyone has their own opinion on. The tough part for you (and most of us) is that a 4" lift is NOT QUITE enough, and a 6" is harder to find for the 1st Gens...and less flexy anyway. The body lift is a nice way to get a little clearance at a cheap price. Your CG stays a little lower too, since you only lift the body higher, and not the whole frame/drivetrain.

I've used the Derbinator brackets for my 14BFF disc brake setup. It's one of the nicest ones I've seen.... in fact, now that I think about it I still have an extra set (unopened in the original box) that I bought for my '69 build that I'll no longer need. (hint, hint)

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

No it is not a Warn. The Warn classic uses perty thin steel on the outer parts of the bumper and is know to bend real easy.

The bumper I have was made in 1999 by http://www.kenmtn.com/ I had it custom fit to my application. I have changed it sence, added gussets and moved the bumper out a bit so the winch would clear my grill(didn't want to cut the grill). 1/4" plate was used so this is a strong bumper. Keep in mind I got it back in 99 so his design has changed over the years. Also at the time I ordered it he took 6-7weeks for it to finnaly arrive.
    Here is a front shot:
    [​IMG]

11. Nicks 72

Nicks 72 Registered Member

Ahhh thats really nice lookin!! I think it was the big red Warn sticker that got me thinkin it was a classic. Thanx for the info
    Nick

12. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

Send me a pm. (hint, hint)

13. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

Mine has 315 - 17's off a h2 with 4 in lift and doesnt rub at all. Dana 60 front and 14 ff in the rear. I think 35's are fine with 4 inches of lift as long as you have plenty of BS on the wheels and stay with 8.5 width.

72 WITH HUMMER WHEELS.JPG