Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 ton axles ?'s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Whassup, Mar 21, 2001.

1. Whassup

Whassup 1/2 ton status

1 ton axles ?\'s

What are they rated as for towing? I just talked to my Battalion Commander and he loves the idea of me building my K5 to be a rollin advertisement for our unit. He asked if I could possibly tow the M198 Howizter to local sporting events behind the K5. The wieght of the Howizter is approx. 11,000lbs. Would it be possible for me to tow it after my build up? The K5 will have D60/C14 both will be locked by the end of the build up, a TH350 with heavy duty towing shift kit, NP205(contemplating Doubler if i have the $$$), 454 Rat, 1 1/2 ton drive shafts. Can I tell him I'll be able to tow it?

I like my trucks BIG, my women HOT, and my Budweiser COLD!

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Re: 1 ton axles ?\'s

You could pull it but could you stop it.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html>http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html</A>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails[​IMG]</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Wayne</font color=blue>

3. Whassup

Whassup 1/2 ton status

I thought I could pull it, my parent's have towed more weight than that with their HD 3/4 tons. Stopping would be no problem, they are equiped with brakes that apply more pressure than the vehicle towing it, so IT slows the vehicle towing it down.

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I would be worrying about the load capacity of your springs before the axles. Since the larger 1-ton trucks have overload and/or helper spring packs sometimes paired with airlift devices. Also is the area of your frame, where your reciever is mounted, strong enough to handle this load? I dont mean to rain on your parade in anyway. I just dont want to see your hard work get split in half.

[​IMG]

5. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Only other concern is total weight seen on the tongue of the hitch. If it is greater than the front mass of your truck your front will be air born. This could be worse due to the suspension lift and ultimate pivot angle of your hookup. If the Howizter weighs in at one and half of the original GVWR that COULD be ok if on a flat nonmoving situation. When brakeing I think it could act like a cantalever going down.
    [​IMG]

6. Whassup

Whassup 1/2 ton status

Yeah, neither do I. That's why I'm looking at the K30 in a new light. I might use it's 1 ton frame. I doubt I need to worry about that though, Howizter's are quite balanced, it only takes three people to lift the tongue. Howizter's are quite light duty vehicle friendly. Most of the weight is right over the fulcrum point.

7. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

In that case I wouldnt worry about it. I have been pondering taking a K30 frame and running gear and putting a Suburban cab with the K5 rear section welded in place. Soft top sub would look real cool.

[​IMG]

8. Whassup

Whassup 1/2 ton status

A guy here in town bought an 84 Burb fromt he forest service and went to town with his sawzall. he cut the back off and mounted a modified K5 topper. He did an amazing job. It looks like it was a factory option.

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I would think that for short distances, and if you were careful, it would be okay. It sounds as the tongue weight might be just right if three people can pick it up, though a fifth wheel or gooseneck setup would probably be better setup (a little tough to do with a K5!). But still, 11,000 lbs. is around twice the weight of a K5 and could lead to the classic "tail wagging the dog" act.

10. Whassup

Whassup 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, and I don't like it when the tail is heavy enough it wags the dog. Fifth wheel hookup isn't possible anyhow, Howizters are set up for a pindel hitch. The farthest I'd have to tow it is 180 miles round trip. Even with a 454 I'd be dogged down and couldn't go to fast anyhow. So I think I could keep fishtail to a minimum. How cool would that be though, a K5 towing a Howizter? I'll make sure to get some CK5 stickers to advertise this heaven sent site.

11. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Make sure ya get some pics too! Could be our military's mascot haha!

- SlyDog [​IMG]

12. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I had a dually and was pulling a gooseneck (est around 10,000lbs) and it was kinda scary tryin to stop it sometimes. You need the one ton front endparts, suspension, brakes, everything really needs to be one ton parts to pull it safely. That's a lot of weight for a little truck. I wouldn't even think about it if it was a bumper pull. With the trailer I had, the gooseneck, it was making the truck sag a bit and it was the camper special-the most heavy duty you could get before you go to a 2 ton truck.

[​IMG]

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>

13. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I've pulled 10,000Lbs with my 3/4 ton Blazer setup before. It's not pretty if your going any distance. The springs are too soft, there is also not enough shock valving with a single rear shock. The worst part was the stability of the trailer. It was filled with wet concrete. When the weight shifted in the trailer the truck would try and follow it. The other concern I would have with your set up is the TH350. I've toasted my original TH350 behind a big block without towing. If you are determined to do this I would run a TH400 with a cooler, heavy front front and rear springs and dual shocks and I wouldn't tow very often at highway speeds. Good Luck.

Mike

14. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Take a gander at TM 9-2320-289-10 for a guide. Max towed weight for a M1008 (one ton pick-up) is 3100 lbs with a tongue weight of now more than 300. Now these figures are typically mil-spec "worse case scenario" max load/effort/temp/etc, BUT that howitser really gonna over tax your K5. And your frame is alot thinner and shorter than a M1008!