Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 Ton axles

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dave_90_blazer, Jan 24, 2004.

1. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

OK, I know that to use a 1 ton rear in a 1/2 or 3/4, you need to move the spring perches and shock mounts, but is a 1 ton front (D60) the same as a 1/2-3/4 ?

i.e., a 100% direct bolt-in (not counting u-bolts/plates and D/S)

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yes, it bolts right in.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

you can use a 3/4 ton rear axle and put on 1 ton brakes and have your 1 ton rear without having to move anything

good luck

4. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    you can use a 3/4 ton rear axle and put on 1 ton brakes and have your 1 ton rear without having to move anything

good luck

[/ QUOTE ]
    He asked if the front was bolt in, not the rear.

5. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    OK, I know that to use a 1 ton rear in a 1/2 or 3/4, you need to move the spring perches and shock mounts

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

good luck

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    He asked if the front was bolt in, not the rear.

[/ QUOTE ]
    See why he added that post now /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif No more cutting and welding if you use the 3/4 ton axle and the 1 ton backing plates everything, including the e-brake will be a direct bolt on application for the rear also. Hmmm... sounds like useful info to me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    No more cutting and welding if you use the 3/4 ton axle and the 1 ton backing plates everything, including the e-brake will be a direct bolt on application for the rear also.

[/ QUOTE ]

And it works good too! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Started with a '75 C20 14FF w/3.21 ratio, added '91 V30 backing plates, and '82 C30 hubs/drums. Direct bolt-in 1-ton rear for my '84 Burb. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

7. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    OK, I know that to use a 1 ton rear in a 1/2 or 3/4, you need to move the spring perches and shock mounts, but is a 1 ton front (D60) the same as a 1/2-3/4 ?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Am I stupid or is his only question about if a front D60 bolts in? He said he already knows about the rear.

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea ur right..but i think he was also telling im in case he didnt already know, that there are other ways to have a 1 ton rear end with out having to move spring perches/shock mounts..

pad /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. rjfguitar

If it was me I would not run the humungous 3.5" drums because they are heavy and a lot of brake for a 1/2ton proportioning valve. My large enough 2.5" drums wan't to lock up too soon already, I bet it would be terrible with 3.5's. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I like my humungous 3.5" brakes in the rear. They work well when you have a tire over 35" tall and need to stop quick.
    I also like the fact that I had an e-brake hooked up when my 39" tire came off the bead taking out my front brake line leaving me with no line pressure. I have hooked up the e-brake on 3/4 ton brakes with the 2 bolts, but it's a little more work. Mine were a direct bolt on this time.

why did I even reply to this hijacked thread anyways? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

I have to say with bigger tires...The real reason that I am going won ton is mostly for the brakes !!! , but the 411 gears helped too.. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have to say with bigger tires...The real reason that I am going won ton is mostly for the brakes !!! , but the 411 gears helped too.. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

When I go for "Won ton" it's usualy when i am hungry.

Sorry man, I couldn't resist.
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Won ton is chinese food. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    When I go for "Won ton" it's usualy when i am hungry.

Sorry man, I couldn't resist.
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Won ton is chinese food. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I was thinking the same thing. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. bigjohnintexas

bigjohnintexas Registered Member

The D60 is a direct bolt in, but be aware that it will give your front end almost an inch of lift because the difference in height of the pumpkins where the spring bolts to. I liked the extra tire clearance it gave me, but some people might not.