Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 ton Crossover steering ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rockjunkies, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

I am doing the ORD cross over steering and need to know the part number for the GM HD MOOG tie rod ends that I need. I went and bought tie rod ends for a 1 ton 4wd, but they are way too long. Stephen is at moab I believe, so he can't answer me right now. Anybody have the number's on hand? And do the jam nuts come with the ends, or are they seperate? Thanks in advance.

2. donimator

donimator 1/2 ton status

do a search on that. I asked him that a while ago and he posted the answer on the board. It was in the ORD board. Was just a few months ago. I think you have to buy the jam nuts seperate too.

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

What your looking for with cross over is "drag link ends", not "tie rod ends". The numbers are ES2027L and ES2026R. For a "rock rod" tie rod, your looking for GM tie rod ends ES2234R and ES2233L. ES2233L has the hole for a stabilizer in it and is weak. You can get a stronger arm with ES2010L (91 3/4 ton Dodge) to replace ES2233L but you will have to mount the stabilizer to the new tie rod.

4. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

For a K5 you do not want the ES2233L for the "RockRod" if you are planning on getting one from Rockstomper. I just went through this. IT is too long for the Rockrod. You will need the ES2234R and ES2010L for the Rockrod.

I agree on the ES2027L and ES2026R for the Draglink. I just completed my crossover conversion with the Avalanche Arm (which is tapered for 1 Ton ends) and a 78 Ford Van pitman arm (which was tapered for a 1/2 ton end), needed to have the pitman retapered at a machine shop to house the 1 Ton end.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yes, I agree that ES2233L is not a good choice. It is longer and weaker due to the longer length of smaller material AND due to the hole. However, as far as I know, the Rockstomper rock rods can be cut any length you want and so, could potentially be used with ES2233L. Obviously making them yourself as you and I have allows the option for either end (or several others). I was only posting that number for completeness and (I hoped) to avoid confusion since I have seen it listed for use in some places.

Also, I should have said “rock rod type tie rod”, wasn’t really being specific about Scotts stuff but rather any heavy duty custom tie rod.

6. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

True, True. I was just pointing out the experiences from my side of things. I had Rockstomper make me my rockrod as it was just easier to have done than make at the time. I made my draglink which was also easy, but a little more involved than just bolting something up. If I were to get a spare RockRod, it would definitely be built by myself as they are cake to do.