Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 ton dually BUT...............

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tiger9297, Jun 6, 2005.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Found a 1 ton dually early 90's, turbo diesel, 4 door, 4x4, but it has no title. A guy that owned a salvage yard bought it wrecked and repaird it. It looks great! However, this same guy died of cancer about a year ago and now his sister and brother in law are handling his estate and are basically trying to sell everything out of his salvage yard. They don't have the title for this truck. I have been told I could get an abandoned title, but how does that keep someone from coming to me 6 months from now with the real title and claiming it? In all reality I think the title is probably there somewhere but since the guy is dead no one else knows where to find it. I'm 99% sure everything would work out but, it's that 1% that scares me. Any suggestions???

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Have the current salvage yard owners apply for a new title (it's only about $15). It'll take a few weeks but the state will issue a new one. Even though it was wrecked it should still have at least a "salvage" type title.

3. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

That's the problem there is NO title whatsoever. Not even a salvage title. I'd love to buy this truck. I think I can get it really cheap, but it will not do me any good if I can't get a tag for it. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Call your local DMV and explain the problem to them, see what they have to say. Be sure to get the name of the person you talk to-in case they develop amnesia after talking to you.

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I would think you can get the VIN and check the status with the DMV (clean, salvage, etc.).

I realize there currently is no title but that's most likely because they can't find it or don't care to try - somewhere there IS a title on this vehicle.. I would suggest going to the DMV, get the title application and offer to pay the fees if they will fill in the blanks and sign it. Make it a condition of sale.

6. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

buy it for cheap right now, and strip all useable parts from it and junk the rest!

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Call your DMV and explain it. They probably can't give you the name of the person who's name the title is currently in, but they can tell you what steps to take to get a legit title issued.

8. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

In OK, you can file for "lost" title, and go from there. Not sure exactly how it works, but my friend has had two trucks that he did that with, and there was no titles whatsoever.

John