Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 Ton guru questions

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OLD DAWG, Jun 7, 2004.

1. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

I finally got my k30 donor truck /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif and needless to say I have many questions. 1st, what's all required to change a slip yoke 205 into a fixed? 2nd is a hydroboost braking system superior to a double diaphragm type? and 3rd(for now)has anyone tried a Milodon 4x4/off road oil pan to help with their BB/1st gen clearance problems?
    Thanks, Doug (PS donor is a 1982)

2. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I am going to be using the hydroboost but don't know if it is superior to the one you posted about. Mine is replacing the manual brake booster so it will be a big improvement for me.

On my 454 from an 89 1 ton, I used the factory oil pan and used a couple shim washers on the motor mount bolts on the engine to gain a touch of clearance. You could also solve the clearance issue by using a engine crossmember and towers from a later 4x4 like Burt4x4 is doing.

How are you going to address the firewall/engine issue?

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The only problems I have ever heard about hydroboost are leak related. If it leaks I wouldn't swap it in.

All you need to do to convert to fixed yoke is get the rear output and tailshaft (speedo cable housing?). The parts will just swap in.

4. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

Since my 72 is far from being nice looking, my plan involves stock height valve covers and a large hammer. I also read somewhere about using a later model crossmember. I forsee alot of late nights, cold beer and Jimmy Hendrix /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif If that fails we have 3 good off road shops in town to bug for ideas.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

you could move crossmember forward but would affect driveline lengths though, also i cant remember if the first gen mounts setup makes engine sit higher or lower than second gen ones, in 2wds the second gen mounts make it all sit a little lower i know

and hydroboot is good when you want power brakes but have too much camshaft in the engine

good luck