Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 ton lift kit ?s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scotty1, Mar 31, 2002.

1. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

I have found an 81 GMC 1ton pickup that sounds to be in good shape and well maintained. I cannot find much info on lifts for 1 tons, I am thinking 4" suspension and cut the fenders to fit say a 37" tire. Who makes a kit for these trucks? What kind of prices and performance has anybody experienced with their lifts? What kind of steering changes need to be made? Thanks much, Scotty.

2. spaceboy

spaceboy 1/2 ton status

1 tons use the same springs as 3/4 tons. The half ton springs are 52". The 3/4 and 1 tons use 56" springs.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, only on the REAR springs. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

ALL the front springs for 1/2, 3/4 and 1 tons are interchangable. They are the same part number from all lift kit manufacturers.

Rear springs are different rates. U-bolts are different for all, too. Steering corrections are also different.

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I would do a 4" spring in the front, shackel flip the rear. I got your PM about military trucks but have not talked to Roger yet. If you are still interested let me know and I will ask next time I talk to him.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've got an 85 1 ton running on 42" TSLs with a 4" BDS lift (for 1/2 ton) and a modified "Springer" rear suspension built using modified stock 1 ton 56" rear packs (soon to have reversed F150 57" packs). Let me know if you have specific questions.

BTW, not terribly relevant but, in the interest of completeness, some 1/2 tons came with 56" rear springs (generally referred to as a "Heavy Half" or "Big 10") and some 3/4 tons came with 52" rear springs. All 1 tons have 56" rears and they are set about 1" closer to the frame so the axles have the perches closer. To use a 1 ton rear axle in a 1/2 or 3/4 ton, you have to move the spring perches out to match.

6. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

I was not sure if the shackle flip was an option on the 1 ton, I think that would be the way to go on the rear also. I am also interested in having a front mounted winch, just in case, and know I will need the front springs to carry this wieght. I am hoping to check this truck out in the next couple of days but ask your friend, when you see him, about what CUCV trucks are availible.

7. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

i ran 36s on my M1008 CUCV with just fender cutting in the front and then went with an all new spring HD 6" Skyjacker lift. front springs hold a winch and a diesel no problem... the rear springs can hold whatever you load the bed with but don't flex too much... if you don't carry anything go with the softride.

8. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

I asked this once before but how hard was the gas engine install on your M1008? Is there a tech article on the subject? I really like the military trucks but am worried the switch over would be more than I can handle and very expensive. I am leaning toward the GMC with a rebuilt 350 already in it. Also you stated that you are running 42" tires with only a 4" lift, makes me wonder how big a tire stock or near stock could fit.

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

It's really not that hard converting to gas. Then again, I'm no stranger to engine swaps and rebuilds. The only thing I had any trouble with was the EFI, but I had never fooled with EFI before. Personally, I probably wouldn't change out the 6.2 if it was running good, mine was slag. If your not comfortable with your ability to do the swap, I would look for a truck closer to what you want. Usually winds up cheaper that way too...

As for 42s on 4", I get away with that only because I've pretty much removed the body. Not much left but the cab and hood. You'll have pretty much the same tire size/trim/lift issues on a 1008 as you will on a similar civi 4x4.

10. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

update; went to see the truck, it is a Trailerking rated to 12,000 lbs towing, the motor has some crappy holly carb/intake which is not set up right, some loose stuff hear and there, oil leak at valve covers and a tranny leak some where on the TH 400. The worst part is the body and bed were shot, they look to have minor rust on the outside but underneath was toast, needs complete cab and body to pass inspection in WV, my body shop guy said it would be a money pit, oh well. The drive line was nice and tight but the rest was a little too much work.

11. 4xfreak

4xfreak Registered Member

I'm running 37" swampers right now with a little bit of trimming and no lift. It did not rub with the sway bar in place but does now that I have removed it, but that isn't anything a B.F.H. cannot handle. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif