Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 ton or 1/2 ton TREs for crossover

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MudFlap, Apr 15, 2003.

1. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

I have searched and read for about an hour and a half and I am really confused.

What is the difference between the tapers on the 1 ton and 1/2 ton ends? I have read where there is nothing different, then I read where the tapers are different, then I read where the taper is the same it is just longer on the 1 ton ends.

Does the superlift pitman arm # 1104 come tapered to fit 1 ton TREs or 1/2 ton TREs?

Which is better to use if there is a difference between the ends? I would assume that 1 ton ends would be bigger. But is it really necessary to use 1 ton ends or will 1/2 ton ends work just fine?

Thanks

TRey

2. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

anybody?

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Does the superlift pitman arm # 1104 come tapered to fit 1 ton TREs or 1/2 ton TREs

[/ QUOTE ]

I have that pitman arm and I use the ES2234R and ES2010L tie rod ends. Those seem to be what everyone uses.
    HTH.
    -- Mike

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i been trying to find this same answer,

are those half or one ton?

i want to use my half ton Draglink ends, for the simple fact that i got 2 sets of spares,

Will my 1/2 TON Draglink ends that were used on my stock steering, work with the Superlift drop pitman arm?

5. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

Thanks.

Does anybody know what the difference is between the 1 ton and 1/2 ton TREs.

Trey

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the draglink ends are the same for 1/2t and 1t, so the moniker is again incorrect

the question is "are you gonna use the draglink ends or the tierod ends?"
    draglink ends(es2026 and es2027) have a larger taper and have greater capability for misalignment

7. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

I am gonna use TREs, but I am trying to decide between 1 ton or 1/2 ton TREs. Does anybody know what is different about the tapers of 1 ton and 1/2 ton TREs?

Thanks

Trey

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

try posting pn for the ones you want to use.
    I have yet to see anyone use a pair of chev TRE, usually the short chev paired with another short ap
    es2234r es2010L

9. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

es2234r is a TRE from a 1/2 ton truck
    es2010r is a TRE from a 3/4 ton dodge truck but it is used because it does not have the hole in it for the steering stabilizer thus making it stronger.

The steering arms that I have looked at buying are either tapered for "large gm tie rod ends" or "1 ton chevy ends".

I would run the es2234R and the es2010L ends, but I don't want to buy a steering arm and it be tapered for the wrong end. That is why I want to know what the difference between the 1 ton and 1/2 ton TRE tapers is.

Thanks

Trey

10. Silver84k5

i dunno but all this crap is getting pretty confusing, i just bought a superlift drop pitman arm for a 78-79 chev, and i tried 1/2ton gm TRE, 1ton gm TRE, and DRE from my blazer and none of them look like they are going to fit that well, i think you are gonna have to have some tapering done no matter what, but i maybe wrong, hopefully.

11. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

I think that you are supposed to use the superlift dropped pitman arm for a ford, part # 1104.

Trey

12. Silver84k5

tahts the one i got,

13. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

I thought that the 1/2 ton gm tre's were supposed to fit.

If you tried both 1/2 ton TREs and 1 ton TREs then you should know the difference between the two tapers. So what is the difference?

Trey

14. chevyman_400

chevyman_400 Registered Member

the size of the stud it self is smaller on the half ton. I tried to put some on my d.60 and I never was able to get the taper to "set" as soon as I got The one ton ends the taper set and would not pop loose

15. Silver84k5

i didnt look real hard, but the half ton TRE's are noticably smaller then the One ton TRE's so you must be right, but it seemed like the Halfton TRE's would almost be too loose, i never put a nut on any of the ends when i was looking at them with the pitman, but i think you are right about the half ton TRE's fitting, im just gonna get the Arms taperd to accomadate a bigger end, those 1/2 tons look puny

16. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I have a stock replacement tre for 1/2 ton draglink, I bought it and cant return it, if you can use it I will sell it for 1/2 of the new price, let me know? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

17. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Trey, I have asked for this information also and got the same mixed answers and still did not know for sure. I just took my Superlift arm #1104 and mated it to a es2234r TRE and also a es2010r TRE and they are both a mate to the correct taper. I then measured the taper of both TRE's on a comparator and calculated the sine of the angle and multiplied by 12" to get the taper per foot. The correct taper is 1.5" per foot for these TRE's. I do not have the larger TRE's that you talk about so I can not measure them but if they have a larger taper then they probably are 2" per foot. That is just a guess.

18. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

Thanks,

Does anyone else have any more advice?

Trey

19. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

ttt on this one /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

I used the sky steering arm and the superlift pitman arm and 1 Ton TREs and everything has worked great so far.

Trey