Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 TON OR 3/4 TON BRAKES

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JDELBLAZ, May 22, 2003.

1. JDELBLAZ

JDELBLAZ 1/2 ton status

ok got my 14 bff and my d60 between the both of them it cost me 400.00 so i have alot of extra cash to spend . i did the a tron conversion to the 14b and would like to change the brake set up on the dana 60to 3/4 ton rotors and calipers. so my question is do any of you guys know where i can buy a caliper bracket to do this conversion ? or should i leave it with the stock set up ? PS I STILL NEED LOCKERS AND GEARS

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Why downgrade to 3/4-ton brakes on a D60? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The thinner 1.25" thick rotors that Ford/Dodge use on their 1-tons have problems with warping & cracking.

Can't hurt to have stronger front brakes than rears... about 70% of your braking comes from the front anyways.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

3/4 ton dana 44 axles are best place to get rear disc brake conversion parts, caliper bracket, rotors, and calipers

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I agree with U2slow, don't do it. The bigger brakes are much better for our application when you consider the oversize tires. At worst, grind them to fit a 15" rim.

If you must convert though, take a look at Wagoner Machine Shop's web site. They have a kit but it's $550. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. NE-RokToy

NE-RokToy Registered Member

You WANT bigger brakes on the front! Why do you want to change? If you need brake clearance go with recentered hummer beadlocks, then you will have beadlocks AND good brakes.