Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 ton rear axle questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AJMBLAZER, Aug 4, 2000.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Okay guys, kinda looking at a different rear axle than a 14 bolt FF for the straight axle conversion. Thing is though, I really like the idea that even though I am only going to be running 35's, I could run 44's no problem. But the damn things are so HUGE, and I would have to wait until I do the entire front axle conversion because I can't run 6 lugs on the IFS and 8 lugs on the rear without a bunch of problems. Kinda like the idea of putting in a 14 bolt SF, with 6 lugs. It'll bolt right up, all I need is a new U joint. Then, when I do the solid D60 front conversion, I can change it to 8 lugs for less than a new diff. Meanwhile, I have a much stronger diff than the little 10 bolt now. Thing is, I just would like that added strength of a bigger axle. Are there any upgrades for the 14 SF? Axles, FF kits, anything? How strong are they really? I will put a limited slip in whatever I get, because I spend much more time on road then offroad. How about a Dana 60 rear? Are they SF or FF? Are there any D60's in 6 lug? If so, are they the high spline count ones, and could they later on be converted to 8 lug? Which is stronger, a D60 or a 14 bolt SF, I'm thinking the D60 is, but I'm not certain. Would a D60 front be stronger than a 14 bolt SF? I'm kinda planning things out, just finding the best possibilities. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks guys.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's

2. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

Why not convert your IFS to 8 lug to match a 14 bolt FF? If you're going to convert to a Solid D60 in the front you'll need the 8 lug wheels anyway. The D60 and the 14 bolt SF are very close in strength. D60's for trucks, are FF, at least the ones I've seen. I would put a detroit in my 14 bolt and put up with a little extra tire wear for all out traction when you need it. Just my thoughts. Steve

3. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

How about a 12bolt? They are far stronger then you`r 10bolt. You can find them for cheap in the sale area of this site. I have one in Colorado for $100. If you are only going to run 35`s why not stick to the 1/2ton gear? A 12bolt, or even a 10bolt for that matter can be made full floating now days. Or if you want bigger get youself a late model semi-floater with the sixlug axelshafts. It would be a direct bolt up if I am not mistaken. Any body know if thats true?

4. AJMBLAZER

Thing is I am a poor Marine with a big truck and a girlfriend, so money is tight. The solid axle conversion is a ways off, like 5 years or so, with some big life changes in between there. Getting out of the Marines, getting really serious with her, moving to a different part of the country, etc. I want to put in the bigger rear now, but not have to buy all new rims. I have 1 year old really nice 6 lug American Racing Baja's that I am rather fond of. In a few years, I'd have less of a problem doing it, but not now. My main concern is that the rear is at least as strong as the front, because it gets the most beating. Thanks for the advice though.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's

5. AJMBLAZER

Every thing I have ever seen puts my 30 spline 10 bolt only a little bit behind a 12 bolt, so that's not enough for me. For the price of the FF kit, I can be a good bit into a much stronger axle. I may only be thinking of 35's, but I wanna make sure that if I ever get one of those, "hmmm, I'm stuck, FLOOR IT!!!", moments the rear doesn't explode. Also if I ever decide to, I can just put on more lift, upgrade the steering, and slap on some 38's or more. The 9.5" SF I was talking about is the "late model semi-floater with the sixlug axelshafts" you were talking about. It is pretty much a direct bolt up. You just need a special U-joint which is easy to get.

6. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

i dont know why the 12 bolt has got a bad rep. i have never had a 12 bolt that failed when not my fault. i have broken cases (my fault...jumping my rig) and burned a ring (my fault...lack of oil). other than that i have abused 12 bolts and they have always taken it...even with 308 gears!! with 33s and 35s!!
    yes..the 14 is much stronger, i agree. but for even serious off-roading the 12 bolt, in my humble opinion, is great. much less weight, a little more ground clearance. yes the SF bearings are a downer, but you are not driving a bus. remember all the muscle cars had 12 bolts (i know they are not truck 12 bolts) and they had mega big blocks. the FF bearings pn the 14 bolt help with side loads.
    but i guess it all depends on what you do in your rig.
    just my opinion.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

7. AJMBLAZER

Nyyef, I just want to have the toughest axle I can. Thanks for that advice on those Goodyear blue hoses a while back though. Ordering a set this week.