Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 ton rears in a k5, any changes?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Mar 25, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Found a 1 ton chevy in the local yard, quoted me $300 for the factory 4.56 14 bolt full floater. Gonna call about the front axle(boy I hope its a dana 60!!) and the bumper it has. The bumper is some homemade step bumper thing I just like it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif So would a 1 ton 14 bolt need anything changed to fit my K5? I found a 4.10 geared 14bolt FF in another yard for $375 in a 3/4ton.

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Depends what its out of, sometimes you'll have to move the spring perches and shock mounts (front a 1 ton). I didnt have to change anything. Sometimes Ebrake may not be compatiable ( in my case-- i think becuase its from lwb truck, maybe?) But bassically, its pretty much bolt in. In my case it was 100% bolt in except for bent shock mount that was replaced.
    Then you need a diff Ujoint, becuase the yoke on the 14b is a 1350 while on k5 driveshaft is a 1310 i believe, so from napa you can get a "trick ujoint"

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

The 1 ton axle would have to have the perches moved and I believe the shock mounts have to be changed also.

The 3/4 ton axle will bolt right in.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I knew the u joint, i should have taken a tape measure to determine spring perch spacing. So what would I need to do to the perches? Move them inwards? What about making a dana 60 fit? anything specific I would need to do there?

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The perches need to be moved out and the shock mounts need to be reversed. The front is pretty much bolt in if the donor is a Chevy, you just need the u-bolts and spring plates. They even came with the same u-joint for some reason. </font>

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

where can I find that article about making my own spring perches? I know they used square tube steel just wnat to see it. And where can I get new shock mounts? I thought echobit had them but I am not seeing them there. I have a mig and am a pretty good welder so I am not too worried about the whole thing. I guess i could make my spring perches a little taller and forget the zero rate, also allow me to set my pinion angle when I finally lift(just have to put off rear install).