Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 ton rears

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bmwsma, May 3, 2002.

1. bmwsma

bmwsma Registered Member

I'm gonna get a set of 1ton rears real soon. My question is this... I have a set of 15/35/15 Boggers I want to use in myupgrade on my 88 K5. Can I use these tires or do I have to get a 16 inch tire and wheel combo? Will my 15"ers clear the calipers on a Dana 60? Or can I grind the calipers to make them work. Also, what about springs. Are there any differences between 1 ton springs and 1/2 ton springs. I'm gonna get a set of 6" superlift or skyjacker springs for the lift. I thought 1 ton springs are wider than 1/2 tons. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

2. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

look in the tech section to find articles about grinding to fit 15 inch wheels

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have 15" on mine. Had to grind the calipers but it works fine. Springs are no problem. Brake lines will also be fine since you should have a 10 bolt now. The only thing you need to do is relocate the spring pads and shock mounts and a conversion u joint (Napa part # 447). The e brake cables will work from the one ton axle too. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. bmwsma

bmwsma Registered Member

Gee wizz... the guy with the tech advise also sells the rears! You'll be hearing from me soon Wayne. If the IRS didn't get $1000 more of my tax $$ I'd be talking to you sooner!

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

As Wayne said your brake lines will bolt up just fine, but if you go to a 6" lift they will be to short.

6. bmwsma

bmwsma Registered Member

So I'd need 52" springs? Or when I order say I need 1 ton springs. They won"t be a stiffer spring will they?

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

no you dont need one ton springs.

8. bmwsma

bmwsma Registered Member

Daaa... The brake lines will be short. I misread Waynes post. Thanks for the input.

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You will have to relocate the rear spring mounting pads on the 14bff if it is from a 1ton. The 1 ton rearends may also have to have the shock mounts relocated too. A 3/4 ton 14bff will bolt in without the moving of the spring & shock mounts.

The D60 from should be bolt in.

10. bmwsma

bmwsma Registered Member

It's tough to find a 4.56 r&p in a 3/4 ton though. Unless you have a dana 60 and a 3/4 ton 14 bolt 4.56 with a detriot combo pack Wayne?!

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

That is true. I am in the process of swapping 4.56's into my 3/4 ton 14bff I picked up awhile back. It is going to be $, but at least I will know everything will be in brand new condition. I just bought new gears, new gear install kit with all new bearings, and I am going to redo the hub bearings and brakes. My axle is going to be better then brand new. New it only had 3.73 gears.

I just thought I'd through in the facts about moving the shock mounts and spring pads in case you didn't know, so you wouldn't be suprised when you went to swap.

12. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

No 3/4 ton with 4:56's as of the last time I checked.

13. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Wayne,

I'm trying to check on how you ground your calipers on "Project Mighty Mouse", but all I get is a blue screen. Can you help any? Thanks!