Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 ton rotors, calipers, brackets on a 14FF

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thatK30guy, Oct 14, 2002.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Anybody running the K30 front brake stuff on a 14FF for the disc brake setup?

I just won a pair of caliper brackets on eBay and have a pair of new rotors in the shed.

Was wondering if anybody has done this and what all is necessary to get the caliper brackets to fit the 14FF spindle flange.

If this idea will work, need to get ahold of some machinists to make some spacer or drill some holes in the caliper brackets, or whatever is needed to get them to work.

Anybody done this?

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I'm doing it right...sort of, I'm putting D60 front brake parts on a D70HD. The work is basically the same though, both axles use the same bolt pattern on the brake shoe backing plate flange on the housing.

The two bolt patterns (backing plate flange and caliper bracket) are just the wrong size that no matter which way you rotate things they always overlap (the main reason for this is the uneven spacing on the caliper bracket). I ended up cutting the axle flange ears off and then making a 1/2" thick ring (drilled with the caliper bracket pattern) and welding it onto the housing, in effect creating a new flange. I would offer you the measurements I used but my housing has been narrowed so they would be useless to you.

Due to the thickness of the caliper bracket you will probably find that you'll need almost no spacers between the flange and caliper bracket.

There are pictures of this on the New Projects page of my web site. I have a few pics there but if you need more let me know. This is definetly the way to go! This stuff is obscenely big when assembled!

3. thatK30guy

Would it work if you were to weld the 6 holes on the D60 caliper brackets shut and redrill the 4 holes from the 14FF flange?

Gonna have to wait til my brackets get here before I can mock up anything to see what I need to do. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. nvrenuf

Yeah, that would work, the only reason I went with a homemade flange was so that there would be no custom brake parts. Everything I'm using is over the counter stuff.

Welding up the holes would get rid of the bolt pattern overlap problem, but you may still need a spacer to position the bracket correctly. If I remember correctly (I can measure tonight if needed) I have 2 1/2" between the inner edge of the seal surface and the original flange.

5. thatK30guy

Seems simple enough to do this conversion. I can see why there aren't as many of these sizes of brakes on the trucks, since the caliper brackets are the hardest to come by.

Yeah, I would appreciate any info and measurements you can find. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. nvrenuf

Man this stuff is huge and once assembled on the axle they really look proportionate to the diff. I'm really anxious to try mine and see how hard they brake (teeth marks in the steering wheel! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) but it'll be a while before I do mine - I'm going to wait and install the axle in a upcoming 91 Blazer project.

7. thatK30guy

John, I viewed your pics and man, those are some BEEFY brakes for a rear axle! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I understand now what you mean by the flange and leaving the caliper bracket unmolested. Makes sense to be able to use over the counter parts and not modify them. I will wait to get my brackets in and see what hits and fits. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

If you won the brackets from Shakerbuilt (I just paid for mine should be here this week). He has a list of over the couter parts on the website...
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Rotor Manufactures Part #'s Below....

Foster Part # HY141049
    Raybestos Part # 5014
    Aimco Part # 5523
    IPI Part # 567

Napa Part # 85677

Wagner Part # BD-60427

Any more manufacturers Part #'s let me know.....

Caliper Pins for Chevy front calipers (No E-Brake)-U.S. Brake Parts Part #JUA5003A

Chevy Front Calipers (No E-Brake) Wagner Part #'s WGL L116348 &amp; WGL L116349

Hub Seal-Federal Mogul Part #2081

Pinion Seal-Federal Mogul Part #2286

Cadillac Calipers-Raybestos Part #'s RC6021 and RC6022.... (Caliper Pads)- Bendix Part # D122

[/ QUOTE ]

If you got the same ones I did? Also from ebay.
    Good luck...
    Jeremiah

9. thatK30guy

No, I got just regular production D60 front caliper brackets.

I'm interested in this "shakerbuilt" dude. What does he make or sell?

10. jjlaughner

11. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Wes, You allready have a set of brackets just like shakers. He bought a set of mine a year ago and copied them so now we compete with each other on ebay.

12. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine designed the spacer/adapter necessary to use the one-ton brackets on the rear. This was the rendering he came up with:
    pic

Just to open the can of worms more completely.... the 3500HD and the walk-in vans with 10-lug wheels already use our 1-ton discs on the rear (the calipers anyway). The brackets are for a 14" rotor though.
    pic1
    pic2

While we're talking beefy brakes, some 3500HD's - I believe its called a "wrecker option" get dual piston calipers /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I don't know if they are a direct fit for the single-piston brackets or not - but here's some pics anyway

pic1
    pic2

13. nvrenuf

U2slow, I like that spacer that your buddy designed, nice strong looking piece. There still looks like there would be one pair of holes that almost overlap and may not have room for the hardware (bolt head contact, etc), maybe if you were to use allen head bolts they might clear each other. I'm not knocking the drawing, just restating the problem I had when building mine.

I've sent the dual piston brakes on the 3500HD's before, I think they might require the 19" or 20" wheels (that the truck comes with) because of how big they are. I had not seen the D60 style caliper or brackets before, definitely workable to our stuff.

14. thatK30guy

I've already got brackets like these. Like 45acp said, they look just like his. These fit the 3/4 ton rotors and calipers.

What I've got coming to me is D60 front caliper brackets which use a totally different caliper and larger rotors. They do not fit nor come close to the 3/4 ton parts.

15. thatK30guy

Bill, should have gotten a patent on them brackets. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

When I get the D60 brackets in, I'm gonna see what hits and fits. Would you be interested in the job of making spacers and/or drilling holes on these D60 brackets? Let me know and I will get them to you when I get a chance. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

16. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Wes, I'm always up for a new challenge. I've just about got the "anti wrap bars" completed. Maybe another week if things go well. Then I'll do my triple shifter and after that I can work on your brakes. Do you still have my address? If so just send them with a drawing of what you want.

17. jjlaughner

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifCan you still use a 15" rim with the 1ton stuff?

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Bill, sorry about not buying from you. I posted in another thread where can I get 14bolt conversion brakes and no one every said so I went to the standby source of EBAY. I'm still waiting on the brackets though, been about a week.
    Jeremiah

18. thatK30guy

I will need to look and see if I still have the addresss somewhere. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm not in a hurry to get this job done. Just a project for whenever you have time. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Right now I'm trying to figure out what to do about the outrageous shipping quote the seller gave me. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I'm sending him an e-mail to see if he will ship them COD via US mail.

19. thatK30guy

You can use 15" rims on this stuff, but not as easily as the 3/4 ton stuff.

Grinding the calipers and brackets on a D60 is massive compared to the 3/4 ton calipers and brackets.

If you check around for a write-up on the D60 grinding, you can clearly see the pics of how much material is removed from the calipers. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

20. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The spacer ends up being almost 2" thick - and if you made it from steel - it could be threaded to minimize any bolt overlap.

I had everything dummied up with the 14-bolt housing end to get the critical measurements. The spacer/adapter could probably be thinner if you used a DRW hub on the SRW housing - but then you have track width issues.

The single piston 3500HD front and rear caliper are EXACTLY the same as the C/K 30 ones. (They're on my '91 right now.) I didn't get a chance to trial fit the twin-piston ones - only had the single piston caliper and bracket up next to it. They sure looked interchangable /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif The twin-piston brackets are just held on with 10 or 12 bolts instead of 6.

If one was to use the 3500HD brackets in a 16" wheel, they'd need to mounted on an eccentric spacer/adapter to move the caliper in a bit. Its not just 3500HD's that have these brackets either. Essentially any GM-produced vehicle with 10-bolt wheels made since the mid-70's have them.

The only other application I can think of that uses a hefty 1-1/2" rear disc is the 98-older SuperDuty - twin-piston, and it fits in a 16" wheel! I believe it uses an 8-bolt rotor and a 10-lug wheel adapter. I just don't know what it uses for a caliper bracket /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif