Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 ton running gear available - Need ID

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newyorkin, Aug 4, 2001.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

On my saturday trip to the junkyard today, I saw an '84 1 ton dually. I asked the owner if the front axle was a Dana 60, and he said he didn't know, he hadn't looked at the truck yet.

I know what I saw was a pumpkin that was friggin massive, so big it looked like it ended right at the pass-side spindle yoke.. It was also riding on what looked like stock 1/2 ton front springs (2-3 leaf).

So my question is, does anyone know what was stock on the 1984 1 ton dually? It didn't have a pickup bed, but like a flatbed or something (I was looking too low to really notice).

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **I need a house. Friggin realtor went and sold mine.**

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Where is this yard? Look at how the passenger's side spring is bolted to the axle. If theres 1 u-bolt and 2 studs its a dana 60. Also, a dana 60 will have a kingpin held in with 4 bolts, not a ball joint like on your 10 bolt front</font color=blue>

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Go to the technical section of the main board and look for the axle ID chart. The D60 has more of an "angular" shape to it than the 10 bolt which is "circular". Plus the diff. is huge compared to a 10 bolt. Also if it is dually front end your going to have to have the shafts shortend. There is a big spacer for the front tires that makes the dually "track" better.

4. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

didn't think you had to get the shafts shortened, just a different spindel hub, but I could be wrong....

You call that dirty!?

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

or you could just get different back spacing on your wheels and not worry about it.

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. lots of plans for it....
    but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in so cali if ya got any parts for me.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Aha! I forgot about the axle ID chart! But I can't remember what that sucker looked like specifically anyway. I did read on the axle chart that the Dana 70 was stock on GM duallies. Does this mean D70 rear or front? I didn't get to see what the rear was, I just kind of assumed it was a 14bolt.

I know it's definately not a 10, 12 bolt, or d44 (you can tell at first glance, this pumpkin was like double the size. Plus, I'd be very surprised to find a 10-bolt under a 1-ton).

Anybody ever have one of these puppies?? It had those massive 1-ton wheels, the kind that are borderline Semi wheels. I doubt I'd ever need this drivetrain in my truck, but it sure looks like swapping it in would be a cool project...

Also, anybody know what transfer case this thing might have? It had an SM465 (going by shifter), but I couldn't see under it that far.

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **I need a house. Friggin realtor went and sold mine.**

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Duallies have Dana 70 rear and a 4wd should have a D60 front unless it's been swapped out. You said it's not a 44 or 10 bolt front so I think it's a D60.

The 1 ton should have an NP 205. I have heard of them having NP 208s. The 208 is aluminum case. If it had a cast iron transfer case, it was a 205, unless it's been swapped.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles