Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 ton setup questions.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newboy89, Jul 25, 2002.

1. newboy89

newboy89 Registered Member

i just obtained a 1985 k20 pickup with a 1 ton suspension under it and have some questions as to what the heck some of the stuff is.
    1) the guy i picked it up off of said that it has a heavy duty tranny called a 700kr. then he went on to explain that it is a factory updated heavy duty t400. is there any truth in that?
    2) he also said that is has a 13 inch rear with 5.13's. is that a variation of the 14b? have any idea if it is a Full floater?
    3) what front end would factory accompany that rear?
    4) it has full factory lockers in the front and rear. how strong are they?
    5) he said that the truck has an LT9 350 block factory rated at 375 horse and 405 ft./lbs.... any truth in that cause i have never even heard of an LT9 block.
    5) it has a np 203 t-case. but it is not full time AWD. how heavy duty are those t-cases?
    i just want to validate the claims of this guy and make sure every thing is worth taking the time to put under my blazer.
    thanks alot for all the help.

2. kilroy

kilroy Registered Member

There are 2 LT9s a 350 and a 454. The specs I see for the LT9 350 are 160 Hp and 260 TQ. came in 81 to 86 k20s and k30s

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yeah, pretty much everything that guy said is bunk.
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    1) the guy i picked it up off of said that it has a heavy duty tranny called a 700kr. then he went on to explain that it is a factory updated heavy duty t400. is there any truth in that?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Never heard of it, he must mean that it's a 700r4, which isn't a very heavy duty tranny at all.
    2) he also said that is has a 13 inch rear with 5.13's. is that a variation of the 14b? have any idea if it is a Full floater?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm not aware of any factory axle that had that big of a ring gear, and I don't think that Chevy offered 5.13 gears.
    3) what front end would factory accompany that rear?

[/ QUOTE ]
    No idea since I don't recognize the rear.
    4) it has full factory lockers in the front and rear. how strong are they?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Chevy has never offered a front locker.
    5) he said that the truck has an LT9 350 block factory rated at 375 horse and 405 ft./lbs.... any truth in that cause i have never even heard of an LT9 block.

[/ QUOTE ]
    LT9 is a regular old 350, I've never heard of even a 454 from the 80s making that kind of power.
    6) it has a np 203 t-case. but it is not full time AWD. how heavy duty are those t-cases?

[/ QUOTE ]
    If it's not full time it's been converted, as the 203 is always a full time case. they're not weak cases, but not as strong as the 205.
    </font color>

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Not to sound rude or get your hopes up, I would pass on this deal because of all the different parts in the truck.

The guy obviously does not know what he is talking about on some of the stuff.

1. 700R4 tranny's are in no way classified or ranked as "heavy duty." In no way are they even near the ranks of the TH400.
    700R4's also use a smaller output shaft, at 27 splines whereas the TH400 has a larger 32 spline shaft.
    2. 13" rear what? Brakes? Ring gear? 13" rear brakes are possible but ring gears on the 14FF only measure 10.5". K20's came from the factory, especially '85, with 14SF rears, not FF.
    3. Front axles on the '85 would be the 10 bolt, which is strong but no where near as strong as the K30 D60.
    4. There are no factory lockers in the front axles on ANY GM truck. Rear lockers from the factory would be the dreaded Gov-Lock which uses clutches and wear out over time. To replace the GL for a Detroit Locker, especially in the FF axles, you would have to replace the ring gear carrier to the 4-pin spider carrier. The GL carrier is a 3-pin spider.
    5. Not sure on the motor info. Someone else will clarify this for you.
    6. If the t-case is the NP203, it was swapped in from an older truck. The last year for these cases was '79. I have not heard of anyone mating the 203 to a 700 tranny.

These reasons are why I would pass on this truck. The guy does not know what he is dealing with and/or is just trying to unload a "cobbled" truck onto you.

5. newboy89

this is the exact description that was emailed to me this morning.

start:
    1985 K20 fleetside long bed PU, 3/4 ton w/1 ton suspension. Body and interior are marginal (read as not very good).
    Drivetrain details (all original):
    350ci LT9 block, 4bbl 850cfm quadrajet w/high rise, high flow exhaust manifolds, full dual w/o cats. Original factory ratings: 375 hp 405 ft lbs torque.
    700kr(?) tranny (80's updated turbo 400, basically) 3 spd auto
    New Process 203 transfer case.
    13" rear, 5:13 gears, full locking diff's front and rear. Manual locking hubs. 11" (xlarge) drums rear, 13" disc front, heaviest duty brake system chevy made.
    Somewhere I have the Chilton book, which has very specific details based on the factory ID sticker (still on the glovebox door).
    finished.

that is what the guy said. i am not positive that everything is factory equipped so i'll ahve to clarify that thatnks alot for all the info.

Ps is there any suck think as a 13 inch rear out of GM ever?

6. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Get some pics if you can, post them here, and let us pick it apart. Sounds like this dude has the 'imaginary' option package...little known yet offered through selected GM dealers to jackasses.

7. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Wes,

You number 4 comment isn't totally true. Some of the Chevrolet K30 CUCV's had Trac Loc's in them. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Mike

8. thatK30guy

Yeah, but we are talking about a 3/4 ton CIVILIAN truck. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

9. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Is the tranny a 4 speed? It sounds like maybe a 700r4 "k"case. Nothing speical with that, just a regular old 700r4. It should take a big dump on you any time after 75,000 miles if its stock and out of an 85 chev...

10. thatK30guy

There is no such axle as far as "13 inch" is involved.

The only axle GM had other than the 10.5" ring gear was the older Eaton 12.5", but those ran up to '72 as the 14FF replaced those in '73. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    13" rear, 5:13 gears, full locking diff's front and rear. Manual locking hubs. 11" (xlarge) drums rear, 13" disc front, heaviest duty brake system chevy made.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like this axle could be the 12.5" Eaton instead. But I have never heard of 5.13 gears for the Eaton though. The 5.13 ratio is an aftermarket item and available for the 14FF. I don't know what the seller means by the 13" thing.

Another thing..... '11" (xlarge) drums rear'.....NOPE! 11" drums are the SMALLEST for the 14FF. 13" drums are the largest DIAMETER available for the 14FF, but there are 2 different widths of shoes. 2.5" wide are the 3/4 ton and 3.5" are the 1 tons. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

11. newboy89

Do you think the guy measured the outer case of the diff? i dont know what the dimentions are but does the 14b have a 13 inch case? just trying to understand whats he's saying.

12. thatK30guy

Do you have pics of everything the guy is trying to tell you about?

If not, ask him for some and then show us. We can help you identify them better. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

13. newboy89

i'm going sunday. i'll bring a digital camera and take some pics... the only questions are what to shoot. the obvious stuff i know. axles, t-case ect. ect.. anything else i might not think to photo? thanks alot for all the feed back guys i appreciate it.

14. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Where in NY are you? See if you can find a member from this board in NY near you to go look at it with you or for... I dunno how close New Yorkin (Rob) is to you but try him.... good luck, and that guy sounds full of stuff for sure...

15. thatK30guy

Take a pic of the following:

1. front dif cover
    2. rear dif cover
    3. rear brake drum
    4. tranny pan
    5. t-case from the rear under the truck

That's about all we need to identify the parts for you. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif