Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 Ton Spring Switch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Batmanjr, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever put complete 1 ton rear springs under their blazer? How much ride height did you get? Want to know what size lift I'm going to need to level the front!

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

If these are stock tonner springs, those spring rates are gonna be STIFF!!! They are gonna rattle your fillings out. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Unless you plan to remove a few leaves, those are just too stiff to run.

3. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I'm looking for towing capabilities! Not comfort! I don't know if you know this, but I plan on goosenecking my diesel, therefor, I want some very hefty springs in the rear and em going to compensate with some added crossmembers for frame support. What I really want to know, is what size lift will compensate for the 10-11 leaf 1 tons?

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

factory front k30 springs perhaps?
    I think there is a guy here 'thatk30guy' that may be able to sell you those.

5. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I know Wess! Oh and the fronts on a 1 ton are the same as the 1/2 ton! The deal is, when you remove the 500 lb truck box off the rear of a K30, The springs rise! Thus, when I put these Stiff, Hard Springs under my Diesel, it's going to Rise! I just want to know how much so I can have the front done when I move the spring perch to except the longer rears!

6. thatK30guy

Front springs are different than 1/2 and 3/4 tons. They have a stiffer spring rate also. The 1 ton springs also have 3 leafs instead of 2 like most 1/2 and 3/4 tons do. I have seen some 3 leafs springs on 1/2 and 3/4 tons before but the rates are different. Rates on the 1 ton springs are mainly to take the load of the BBC and diesels. If you check around like at a dealership, etc., the part number between the 3 leaf springs on a 1/2 ton are different number than the 1 ton. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Thanks Wess, I've got a diesel, so maybe that's why they look the same!!! I'll use the fronts, but isn't my rear still going to sit in the sky?

8. thatK30guy

I can't really say if the rear will sit high or not because a Blazer and a K30 weigh almost the same at around an average of 5500 lbs.

If you were to remove the top, I would say the rear would rise up from an "unloaded" spec, but not very much.

9. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

What about the 500 pound tool box this k30 has on it? It's got to weigh a ton!!! I lifted the rear of this k30 with my cherry picker and it was on the 2 TON setting, I could bairly pump the handle!!!!!! Plus the springs are like twice as thick? You wouldn't have an extra set laying around would you? This k30 had the 454 TBI in it, so I completely agree with what you said about the front, but the rear has to sit up higher, RIGHT????? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif
    /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

10. thatK30guy

10 or 11 leaf set up sounds like its the 10K-14K or the 14K to 16K GVWR truck. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif These are some BIG and heavy duty springs.

I once saw a crew cab K30 with a VERY THICK pack of leaves once. My jaw hit the floor when I saw this pack. Nothing like this I have ever seen on a regular cab K30 though.

11. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Check it out:
    K30 SIngle Cab
    I'll go count the leaves! IT'S FREAKEN MASSIVE!

12. thatK30guy

Why butcher a good perfect truck for towing duties? /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

The K30 will better suit you for any towing jobs than a Blazer will, regardless of doing the spring swaps.

13. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

There's 11 leafs and the bottom one is like 3/4" thick!!!! So What do you think?

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

good score!

15. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I'm using the frame, engine, transfer for my `72! The axles are already under my daily weekend rock/ some mud truck! In other words, my wife's truck! I've got an other set of 1 tons in the garage for this and I'm going with really long soft springs to increase flex!!! Just cut and shorten the frame and mount the `72! I've already got my 465, 203, and 32 spline 205 now, just put it together and wallah!

16. thatK30guy

Thats thick alright. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I will go out tomorrow and count the '82 and '84 K30 packs to see what those have.

Best thing to do would be to go ahead and install them and see what they do.
    I would measure the top fender lip before swapping and after swapping to see how much the truck has moved, if it will.

17. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I just hate driving her like that, make her look so F***ed Up! It's going to take me a couple of days to get those springs in her though!!! Got to move the perch back 3"!