Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 ton steering

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by prjt_blzr, Mar 11, 2001.

1. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

O.K. guys, I need some help. I have an '83 1 ton with hydraboost and the AGR pump. The truck is lifted 4" and has the heavy duty ORD shackles and 35" tires. I installed an ORD steering brace and the raised steering arm and replaced the king pins and associated hardware at the same time. The truck usually stops straight with no vibrations. Occasionally the front end starts bucking to the point that the tires feel like they are going to fall off while stopping. I can stop the bucking if I release or stomp on the brake pedal. The front end is aligned correctly and all steering joints are new or tight. Any ideas?????

Thanks

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I had a similar problem with my 85 K30 awhile back. Looked all over for possibilities. I went as far to get new shocks, new stabilizer (that helped), and alignment. It turned out the problem was warped rotors on the front. Simply turned them down and repacked the bearings and went down the road again to see it worked like a charm. Try all the above and see what happens. The new steering stabilizer really helped too, since the old one was loose.

3. Cliffy

Cliffy Registered Member

Sounds like the rotors to me too. Have them turned, it's really cheap at a place like Auto-zone, or whatever your local parts store may be.

Coil sprung 71 blazer.

4. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

O.K. I'll try the rotors. I didn't turn them because they are at min spec right now. In addition, normally, I get no vibration/pulsing under braking. The only other item is the steering box.

Thanks