Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 ton suspension on a blazer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by miller_chad, Nov 15, 2004.

1. miller_chad

miller_chad Newbie

I have a 86 Fullsize Jimmy and my friend just rolled his 86 3/4 ton shortbox chevy with 1ton suspension with a 6 inch rancho lift with a 12 bolt rearend. Would this suspension bolt right up to mine or would i have to do some modifying? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

kinda confusing that u have a 3/4 ton truck that is a shortbed w/ 1 ton suspension & a 12 bolt rear.

i say measure how long the rear leafs are if they are 52's they will go w/out any mods, the frt should work either way

3. blazerpunk

blazerpunk 1/2 ton status

Never heard of a 1 ton 12 bolt. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a 86 Fullsize Jimmy and my friend just rolled his 86 3/4 ton shortbox chevy with 1ton suspension with a 6 inch rancho lift with a 12 bolt rearend. Would this suspension bolt right up to mine or would i have to do some modifying? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Since it's a shortbed, it was originally a 1/2 ton. They never made an 86 shortbed 3/4 ton. Therefore you need to double check the rear springs length. They will most likely measure 52" on the K5 & 52" on the P/U.

Sounds like you buddy had a hybrid truck. No biggie/ Almost all the trucks/K5s on this site are hybrids. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

1 ton shortbox here, but I made it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    1 ton shortbox here, but I made it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hence the term "hybrid" Mr Smar T. Pants!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Why would you want 1 ton prings on a blazer? There is a reason why GM naver made a 3/4 ton version K5....they have too short of a wheel base to pull a load any bigger than what 1/2 ton springs can handle. I'm not saying they CAN'T pull anything heavy because I have towed a trailer heavier than the manufacturers rating a few times but I have some good towing experience and am super cautious, still not the safest for sure. I am 3/4 ton with the larger brakes in my defence though. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't think there would be a need for 1 ton rated rear springs hardly at all because it will ride terrible and any load heavy enough to where only 1 ton springs can handle it....is way to much for a blazer regardless of brakes, using caution, and driver experience IMHO.

I have the stock prings with a 2.5" addaleaf on my K5 and has worked well. The add a leaves increased my spring capacity enough to make a difference (it's kind of like a 5/8 ton now. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) but still ratain a decent ride.

The front is obvious for not needing a spring heavier than a 1/2 ton rating because you can't pull a gooseneck with a blazer. Maybe a 3/4 ton pack with a swapped in BBC if ride heigth is important, even then I would still prefer a 1/2ton spring because the ride would smooth out nicely with a BBC.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If using the proper weight distributing hitch for a heavy load, your front springs definitely play into it.

9. Sam 10b

Sam 10b Registered Member

If you put the one tone 56 inch springs in the back and your rears in the front your truck will flex like crazy and move your rear axle back like 4 inches.