Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 ton swap on a 77 jimmy.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlueCamo, Aug 24, 2005.

1. BlueCamo

BlueCamo Registered Member

I'm getting a dana 60 and a 14 bolt. I was wondering if there were any things that I'll be needing to do the swap brake lines, etc. Also my truck isn't lifted yet, should I wait till it's lifted to put them in? This is my project truck so it's not road ready at all.

2. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

If you are going to lift it I would do it all together, that way you wont have to do extra work.

3. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

Do both at once. when you get your lift kit, tell them it is for a One ton single wheel truck. that way you will get all of the correct ubolts and steering correction for your new axles as they are very different. you will also need new ubolt plates for front and back if you didn't get them with the axle. rear brake lines interchange, fronts I believe are 10 MM instead of 7/16. the banjo bolts that come in the D60 should fit throught the d44 brake lines, use new washers and make sure they get enough bite on the hose/washers so you don't have a leak. Check twice on the brake lines fitting in the front as it has been a while since i did mine. front drive line should bolt up, rear will need a adapter ujoint. Wheels won't fit any more ( lug pattern). also if 14blt is from a one ton, you will need to relocate the perches outward to fit your springs. if from a 3/4 ton then your OK. front springs will bolt right up. thats all I can think of right now.
    BTW my truck i did this swap on was also a 77 jimmy

4. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

a 1ton rear 14bff needs the shock mounts moved also

5. BlueCamo

I appreciate your responses. the 14 bolt is out of a 3/4 ton so I think I wont need to be relocating spring perches. The seller is looking for the spring plates, but if he can't find them, where is a good source? And who is a good company for brake lines? Thanks for all the help guys.

6. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

either get the spring plates at a wrecking yard or make your own...they can be quite expensive...

7. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

I used superlift extended brake lines and I got front and Rear plates from Blue Torch Fab, but there are others who make these as well.D60 top 14blt bottom

truck 019.jpg

truck 024.jpg

8. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

do they even have wrecking yards in Hawaii?

almost forgot link to BTF (LINK)

9. BlueCamo

not really. i found mine in the classifieds. It's pretty hard to find parts for building trucks of these years.

10. jeeptuff

jeeptuff 1/2 ton status

I am doing a 3/4 ton swap in my 83 K5 this weekend. Bought a donner 83 3/4 ton pick up for $500, which includes the 14 bolt, dana 60, Sm 465 trans, and a brand new NP208(never installed in anything), the doors are flawless and will also be used.

Nice to know that perches will not need to be moved, u-bolts are being made for me Saturday morning, as for the driveline, hehe, I love working at a truck shop(diesel over the road) that has a full driveline shop..

I'll let you know how the swap goes this weekend..