Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1 ton torsion bars in 1/2 ton?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by obrut, Jun 4, 2002.

1. obrut

obrut Registered Member

Can i use 1 ton torsion bars in my 90 1/2? I'm also thinking of using 1 or 3/4 ton shocks too. My stock stuff seems soft and the front looks like its saging a little.

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure if that is a good idea and I'm not sure if they will even fit, the length is probably the same, but the ends are probably different (one-ton torsion bars are thicker, I would think the Hex end is larger as-well).

3. obrut

obrut Registered Member

Ok how about the 3/4 ton stuff will that bolt in? Will it raise it at all? I'm not looking for huge lift but i wont to replace the suspension stuff then get new tires.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Torsion bars alone will not raise the truck very much. If you're just looking for a slight rise in height, you can crank up the torsion bar adjusters at the back end of the bars. That will typically gain you 1 to 1.5 inches. To go any higher, you'll have to buy a full suspension lift that relocates the diff and suspension lower on the frame. Look at the operating angles of the front half shafts as it sits now. They're already rather steep. If you use just torsion bars to try to lift it higher, the angle will become too severe and you'll be replacing the half shafts on a regular basis. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

5. obrut

obrut Registered Member

I'm not looking for much lift i just want to replace the bars with something stronger. I got a plow for free for my truck so I'm going to use it to plow my drive way. My truck has 110k miles on it, i just wanted to replace the bars before the front starts to sang after the plow is on and it the middle of winter. Plus it still has the factory shocks so they need to be replaced. Can i use 3/4 ton shock from the same year truck and buy some 3/4 ton torsion bars? Were can i buy 3/4 ton shocks a bars from?

6. HDFXB

HDFXB Registered Member

Yes you can use the 3/4 ton bars, and I also think that the 1 ton bars will fit. I would use ones from an extended cab for a stiffer rate spring. Might look into an air shock for the plow. That way you can stiffen the front when the plow is on, and drop pressure when it isn't, to soften the ride. I have a 6" lift on my 1/2 ton standard cab, used 3/4 extended cab torsion bars and crossed a set of air shocks (had to change one end bushing). It really helps when hauling my camper (slide-in) and also with the snow plow.