Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1" zero rate add a leafs in front?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fordslayer383, Mar 17, 2005.

i was thinkin of gettin some of the 1" add a leafs for the front to level the truck up a bit.
    is this ok? ive heard of adding em in the back does anyone use em in front?

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I believe quite a few people do from what I remember, ORD recommends it and I will be running them in front soon so I'd think it's alright.

2. cool man thanks! anyone got any pics of these installed

3. bigcat44

bigcat44 Registered Member

I just installed mine in the rear last weekend and the instructions provided list for the front or the rear.

4. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Give me a day or too and I will post some pics of the ones on my 71.

5. awesome

i got a 2 inch body lift and i currently have 33" tires and i want to add the add a leafs to fit 315 75r 16's ????????? looks like theres plenty of room- and there definatly is in the back!!! i dont do to much rock crawin or anything so it flexes far enough for me!

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i have them front/rear as we speak. No problems. They are coming out of the front soon, but just because I need clearance for my relocated tie rod, not because the zero rates have not worked or are unsafe.

btw, if you want a set cheap, drop me a PM... I won't have any use for mine once I remove them.

j

7. which way does the rounded edge go? and does the pins sit in the recessed hole?

i would be stoked on seein some instalation pics

8. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

they are strait forward,
    the rounded edge goes tord the leaf to keep from making a pressure point. and the pin fits in the hole in the spring purch.
    done sent it.
    LUKE

the resessed hole are for if you want to more your axle forward/backward, and the kit comes with extra bolts to make this happen.

9. bigcat44

Flat end is up against the leaf, bottom round end is resting on the axle side. Pin goes up through the beveled hole so it sits flush on the axle.

10. for real? why the hell does it matter if one side is rounded then???

gimmicks

11. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Actually the rounded side goes toward the spring. This is so when you're on the gas or brakes hard and the axle is trying to twist the spring, there aren't any large pressure spikes created in the spring pack. You only use the recessed holes if you are moving the axle forward or backward. I'm sure a search will turn up quite a bit more info on zero-rates as well.

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Rounded toward the spring so that it doesn't provide a shear edge to break the spring.

What makes a Zero rate a Zero rate and not a block is the fact that its permanently attached to the spring with the center pin just like a leaf. It it slips out its because that pin has broken. Pins usually break from incorrect u-bolt torque.

13. bigcat44

when you buy them, they come with great install instructions. There are three holes, and it explains which hole you will use and why. The recessed hole goes down and the pin slides up through that and through your spring pack that way everything sits flush. I am not sure which side is the recessed hole I think it is the flat side and rounded side is towards the pack, sorry I am being too lazy to go outside and look. One thing I did that the instructions did not say was I kept my angled shims in place on the axle and put the blocks on them. Seemed very logical and have not had any problems.