Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1" Zero Rates

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Stoopalini, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

1\" Zero Rates

Does ORD make a zero rate add a leaf that is cut at an angle for rotating the pinion?

I need to shim the rear to adjust the pinion angle, and was also planning on installing zero rates; but I figured it would be better to have one piece that did both.

Thomas.

2. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Re: 1\" Zero Rates

I remember Stephen saying a while ago that did not make zero-rates with an angle machined into them. However if you take a look at the High Angle Driveline review, Steve got his machined with a 6-degree shim if memory serves me right. Hope this helps

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah, I had it machined down, now that I think about it, maybe it was 7 degrees instead of 6, I don't even remember now. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Anyway there are pics of the ORD add-a-leaf on the High Angle review on the front page.

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Not yet but we're getting there. We'll probably start with about a 6 degree. We've built a couple here that were about that, usually anywhere from 5-7 degrees, so that seems to work OK.

5. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Do you know about when you might be offering those? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks
    Ross

6. Stoopalini

Great, thanks for the info.

When you say they will start at 6', does that mean 6' will be the smallest angle you will offer? I'm not sure what angle I need; haven't got under there and measured it yet.

Thomas.

7. Stephen

That's the problem, we need to figure out what angles are going to be the most useful, I'm not sure if we do 2-4-6 degree or maybe 3-5-7? The ones we've cut so far have been 5 and 6 degrees, so we'll see. If you have any input, throw it in here.

8. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I think y'all should make it simple for average dumbasses like me and instead of labeling them like 3' 4' 5' etc. label them for their applications. Like Suburban 4" lift, or Short bed regular cab truck 6" lift etc. I know this is kinda genric but it would be very helpful as I have no idea as to how much angle I would need for 4" of lift on a burban. Just a thought...

9. Stoopalini

Well, I'm running your 2 1/2" shackle flip right now with a 14 B FF. With my t-case dropped, my angles are 6' at the pinion and 7' at the t-case.

I plan to bring the t-case back up and then measure the angles again so I know what degree cut I'll need for the zero rates.

Do you make the zero rates there? I wouldn't mind waiting the time it takes to make them if you could cut them at whatever degree is needed .....

Thomas.

10. Stephen

We do build them here, it's not a huge deal to add the angle but we're not set up to do custom angles or one-at-a-times. We need to build a bunch of them at different angles and put them on the shelf to sell.

11. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I'd like to have some 8 degree zero rates. I saw A-tron advertising basically the same thing. With my ORD HD shackles, that would put my pinion at 7 degrees up. Does this pose a problem between the chunk side spring plate and the bolts? I assume the Ubolts would still be fine.

12. 86 4door

86 4door Registered Member

iam thinking of geting the zero rates, can i use the degree shims that came with my 6" springs,under the zero rates?i dont see why i couldnt.

13. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I'm making a set for my truck soon as the 14 bolt is almost ready to hang, I could make you a set when I set it up to cut mine. I'll have the machine set up to do this so 1 more set would just take a little more time.Let me know.. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

14. Stephen

Are you talking about needing 8 degrees on the front axle? I'm pretty sure that'll give you terrible castor angle. You're pretty much to the point of cutting and turning the knuckles and I think you might have problems with the bolts on the pass. side sitting crooked. I'm not sure of the common fix for this but I guess you could always use some angled washers on the ubolt plate.

15. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Thanks for your quick reply. I currently have four degrees and I would be going to seven. (8 at the axle minus 1 for the HD shackles) I don't feel like 3 more degrees will give me that much hassle, but my uncertainty is why I'm asking. I don't feel comfortable cutting and turning my axle myself and there is nowhere around here to do it, not to mention no $$. I'm probably gonna try it...should I go for 6 or 7 instead of 8? Remember..I have 5 now. Thanks in advance.

16. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Of course you can. I just dont' need/ want another inch of lift and I would rather just have one piece to be stressed instead of two. However, zero rates are designed to be used with or without shims so you can reuse yours and be fine.