Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 12 14 bolts in the ring gear

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Jan 26, 2003.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Some one told me the corprate axles were called 10(12 and 14) bolts because thats how many bolts hold on the ring gear I alway though it was how many bolts are in the diff cover whos right or is it both of us?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Cover bolts. The C14 FF has 12 ring gear bolts and is still referred to as a 14 bolt due to the number of cover bolts.

Rene

3. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Cover bolts are what I count. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Like the Canadian said,
    Cover bolts.

10-bolt, 12-bolt, 14-bolt are all knuckle drager gear head talk for their real identitys, which would be the ring gear dia.
    It can be miss-leading tho', there are 4 different "10-bolts", 2 different "12-bolts" and 3 seprate "14-bolts".

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

could you explain that better for me?

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Ohh-tahay

10-bolt:
    - Car/Truck - 7.5" Semi-Floater: Astros, S-10s, camaros and the like...
    - 1/2ton Truck - 8.5" Semi-Floater: '77-ish and up C/K series.
    - 1/2ton Truck - 8 5/8ths Semi-Floater: '99 and up Silverados/Savanas, (they are NOT the same as the earlier 10-bolts, but look very close.)
    - ?????? - I could have sworn there was a 4th 10-bolt, but I'm drawing a blank now...

12-bolt
    - Car - 8.875" ring gear, Big-blocked and High-Perf Small-blocked early models. camaros, Chevells ect..
    - Truck - 8.875" ring, 1/2 ton chevys/GMC

14-Bolt
    - Truck - 9.5" Semi-Floater: Heavy-halfs and up to light-one tons (8600 GVW), guesssing at '86 and up, but could be wrong.
    - Truck - 10.5" Full-Floater: This is THE axle, this monster has been used forever and is one stout assembly. Three bearing pinion (like the Ford 9) and and large ring gear make s all-most indistructible, rated up to 11,000 GVW (?). Single and dual wheel.
    - Truck - 11.5" Full floater: The axle assembly that is behind the Duramax/8.1L, this sucker is BIG! Really Big. Same shafts (more-or-less) as the 10.5s but a larger ring gear and a 2-bearing pinion.
    11.5" ~vs~ 10.5"

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

*tips hat in Eric's direction* /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Technically the 28 spline and 30 spline 10 bolts could considered as different...

Also I heard a rumor there was an 8.6" 10 bolt out now under some of the new junk.../forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rene

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Well some of the new 10 bolts have larger carrier bearings and to my knowledge i dont know if they will work with the old style bearings and housings. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

9. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Thanks for tha info anyways I already knew that stuff though I got one more questions for you though who make the EARLY 10 and 12 bolts? Spicer or AAM? I always though it was spicer but just wanting to check