Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 & 12 bolt carrier identification ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigmack, Jan 28, 2002.

1. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Does anybody know if 10 & 12 bolt carriers have certain markings or part numbers stamped on them to identify what they are ? I have a couple laying around & I need to try to identify which one is for a 10 bolt.

'80 K10 350/350/NP205/14B/10B/4.10/4"Lift/Q78-Buckshots

2. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Anyone have any idea ?

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Absolutely no idea on markings. I was looking for a 10 bolt posi car diff, and I asked the same question on other lists I belong to, no one had any info to help me.

I'm willing to bet there is a difference in the width of the carrier (axle tube to axle tube) between the two, but other than that, I'm not really sure how to tell.

I also remember hearing or reading that 10/12 bolt, at least on the old diff's, ACTUALLy was referring to the amount of bolts holding the ring gear to the carrier, not the diff cover bolts.

IIRC, the 10 bolt ring gears use counterclockwise threads on the bolts. Not sure if 12 bolts were the same way. Maybe someone knows if they were clockwise or counterclockwise, which could indicate which is which.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

4. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Dorian, when I got home today I checked the carrier in question with a couple of spare axles I have, one was from a 12 bolt &amp; one from a 10 bolt, I thought that the axles were the same as far as size but I was wrong, both are 30 spline &amp; the same legnth but the one from a 12 bolt is larger in diameter out at the splines, so it would not slide up in the carrier so now I know it has to be a 10 bolt carrier. I didn't check to see which way the ring gear bolts go on but I defenitely learned something new.

Thanks for your input.