Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 Bolt 14bff Swap E Break Prob

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by imaginepro, Jun 10, 2004.

1. imaginepro

imaginepro Registered Member

I just Swaped out my Junky 10 Bolt out of my 86 Blazer and put the much bigger 14BFF in it. The 14 Bolt came out of a 76 Pick up. Well Evey thing went fine. the only problem I have run into is that My E Brake Cables Are different. On the 14 Bolt there are cables comming out of both drums and look like they are ment to hook to some cables on each side of the Frame. Well my blazer, and with the old 10 Bolt there are 2 cables that come from the drivers side and go into the drums. The cable just crossed over the axle. So can some one help me or give me some Ideas. Thanks

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Get the newer backing plates for the 14FF is one way. 14SF plates are the same as 3/4-ton 14FF plates.

Somebody on here had a sneaky workaround... not sure who it was though. Hopefully they will chime in. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. blueblaze

blueblaze 1/2 ton status

Do you plan on getting disk brakes?

4. imaginepro

No not right now but down the road and then that is a hole new ball game. fro right now i am going to stick with

5. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Check this out.
    Old Thread /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

By the way, where are you in UT?

6. imaginepro

I am located in southern utah St. George Where are you?

Thanks every one I'm just going to make it work the help was awsome happy wellin. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

7. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

Im doin the same swap right now. what i did is i removed the bolt in cables from the 14bff.I then cut the cables and removed the metel piece that bolts on to the backing plate.so now i have the piece that will bolt on to the backing plate, i drill out the small hole the cable goes through to 1/2 in. so now i slide the original 10 bolt cable through this piece and then bolt it to the 14bff back plate. And there you go,repeat the same thing for the other side and then just hook the cables up to the internal arm and you are done. ( except for some adjustment to the cable). I just ran into the same problem today and figured ths out real fast but it worked great. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

8. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I'm up in Utah County but am movin to the midwest next week. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif