Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 Bolt 28 spline to 30 spline

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Mar 27, 2004.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

When I did my 3/4 ton swap I used a 10 bolt from an 82 K20 (28 spline right) I still have my 89 10 bolt (30 spline). Is this just as easy as pulling out the two side gears and swapping the shafts, or do I have to take the carrier out at all? I just figured I should run the 30 spline and keep the 28's as spares. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Thanks

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Just the two side spider gears where the shafts go into. Keep those and the axles for spares.
    Does not require the removal of the whole carrier.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

It is easy. Sometimes it can be a hassle getting the gears in. My buddy TJ is better at it than me. Save yourself the hassle and put the 30 spline spiders and side gears in your trailbox and carry the 30 spline axles as spares. No sense doing it it twice. The axles are a little stronger, but not enough to worry about it up front /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

If im not mistaken, 30 spline axles taper down to the same diameter as the 28 spline so there isnt really much advantage going to 30 spline. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Personally I wouldn't bother. I would sell the 30 spline shafts and buy a set of 28 spline spares and probably have a 12 pack with the extra cash.

30 splines usually sell for more money because they are more rare. 28 splines are cheap and plentiful.

They are both the same strength since the both taper. 10 bolt axles break at the taper on outside of the splines or at the ujoint most of the time. The splines would only play a role if the axles were non necked down. So if you try and run 28 splines and keep 30 splines with you as spares for the trail it is kinda retarded.

You not only have to tear everything down to get the axles out but now you have to drop the cover to change the spider gears, reseal the diff, refill the diff, etc. Does that sound like the smart option? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Not to me. I have gotten 2 sets of 28 spline 10 bolt shafts to my door for $35 shipped.

Harley

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Even better Idea /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I agree, Don't bother. Out of all the front 10 bolts I've broken, none were ever at the spline end. I usually bust them at the joint!! You can save the outer stub shafts, they are the same.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If anyone can keep the u joints from breaking to manage to break either shaft, I want to see the results.

I broke my front axle joints with the tires not even turned once. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have heard that the 30 spline axles won't fit through the 28 spline case. If this is true then how can the 28 and 30 spline axles be the same diameter? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

10. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

The last time I broke a shaft it was the shorty. I twisted the splines off right where they are necked down and the u-joint hoops. And the u-joint and the warn hub. BLAH BLAH BLAH

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have seen it done. TheRobZilla did it when I was out with him once. He broke the longside shaft just outside the carrier splines. Nice clean break at the taper. No shrapnel. the ujoint was going out too but it broke the shaft only.

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have heard that the 30 spline axles won't fit through the 28 spline case. If this is true then how can the 28 and 30 spline axles be the same diameter? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my understanding also. Supposedly the 30-spline factory carriers had some weakness issues because they were machined to fit the larger shafts and didn't leave enough meat on the carrier.

In any case, it sounds like a pain to go to that much trouble when repairing a breakdown when you can just get a spare set of commonly available 28-spline shafts.

The larger 30-spline shafts would be nice if you could get some non-neckdown chromoly's.

13. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

So it won't work?

14. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

30sp shafts will not fit into a 28sp carrier.

The OEM 30sp carrier is junk. GM upped the spline count and used the same carrier...they simply bored the holes in the side of the carrier larger to accept the larger shafts. This created a very thin spot for the carrier bearings to ride on. The area that the bearings press on to will shear off and allow the carrier to shift- thus destroying the ring and pinion. Ask Hustler.

I, Mudzer and many others have broken many 10bolt/44 shafts while not breaking the joint. Mudzer broke two in one day. As someone stated, they generally break cleanly at the splines...of course this is if the cap(s) of the joints don't walk out of the axle yokes first. If that happens, say goodbye to the joint and both shafts on that side.

IMO, dump all of your 30sp stuff and carry 28sp spares. Be sure to do the full circle snap ring mod on ALL shaft sets. This will almost guarantee no joint failures. Both shafts that Mudzer broke that day had the snap ring mod. He had them in a D44 with a PopRite locker.

Look at the examples on Watson's CM shaft page:
    http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/cmfrontaxleshafts.htm