Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt 3/4 ton rear end...?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rix_Gotta_Blazer, May 26, 2003.

1. Rix_Gotta_Blazer

Rix_Gotta_Blazer 1/2 ton status

i have an 81 k20 with 8 lugs and 10 bolts on the diff cover. i searched for this 10 bolt rear end for a 3/4 ton and i cannot find anything on it. even on the "axle identification chart" i cannot find it. can anyone help me? thanx.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

That's really odd. Your '81 K20 should have come with a 14 bolt FF from the factory. And, even if a 10 bolt was swapped in for some reason, they never came with 8 lug axleshafts. In short: I guess I don't really know the answer to your question /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Wait, on second thought....I believe the Dana 60 rears have 10 bolts on the diff covers. Two questions for you: 1) are there big hubs coming out of the center of the wheels 2) is there a fill plug in the diff cover? If so, then I'm gonna say you have a Dana 60. I don't know why it's there, but I believe that's what it would be.

3. Rix_Gotta_Blazer

yes, the big hubs are coming out of the center of the wheels. they have 8 bolts in them. again, yes...there is a fill plug in the diff cover. i dont knw if it makes a difference, but the cover is an after market chrome one. thanx

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Then it's a Dana 60. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Semi-floating "10 bolts" from GM don't have the big hubs.
    I'm guessing, unless GM ran short on 14 bolts, that someone swapped in that rearend from a Ford van or pickup, or even an earlier model GM truck (I think some came with dana 60 rears).
    I recently took a stroll through some junkyards around my area and I found LOADS of dana 60 rears...no good 14 bolts that I was looking for. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. Rix_Gotta_Blazer

so when i buy rims for this truck, do i have to get FORD 8 lug rims for the rear and chevy 8 lugs for the front?

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

No, just get some 8 x 6.5" lug pattern wheels.
    The '99-up Ford Superdutys changed their 8 lug pattern to be on a 170mm circle (who knows why /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif).
    Also, there's something about the wheel openings being different sized, but if I remember correctly, I think it's the Chevys that have the biggest opening so maybe some dodge 8 lug rims won't fit over the Chevy hubs...I'm not sure. But, most wheels you'll find in the aftermarket will have the same size opening anyway.

7. Rix_Gotta_Blazer

so is this dana 60 a full floater then?

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Yup /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Rix_Gotta_Blazer

sweet. thanks for all the help heavy!

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yes alot of dana 60 in gm trucks back since at least 63, very common under the 20 series trucks, most were 4.56 but a few were 3.54, most all dana 60 trucks before 73 were leaf spring but a few were coil rear(2wd)
    all dana 60 rears were FF cept a few 1/2 ton pickups and some dodge cars

11. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    so when i buy rims for this truck, do i have to get FORD 8 lug rims for the rear and chevy 8 lugs for the front?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe.

The center hole size varies even with the same 8-on-6.5" pattern. I had a '72 3/4-ton with the factory Dana 60 rear. I tried replacing the split-rims with 80's GM 16" wheels and they would not fit. I had to borrow a couple of Ford wheels from a buddy. The difference was about 1/8".

Aftermarket wheels normally use the largest avialable center-hole size to avoid fitment problems.

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

Aftermarket wheels normally use the largest avialable center-hole size to avoid fitment problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

and then you have the problem of weight of vehicle riding on wheel studs instead of on the hub center holes /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

13. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Actually, GM uses the smallest center hole. GM trucks can use Ford and Dodge wheels, but Fords and Dodges typically can't use GM wheels. There are exceptions to all rules, but, for the most, part this is usually what you will find.

14. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks for clearing that up /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I can never remember which way it is /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif