Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt, 4:11 gears need shimming?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by aj_tatted, Jan 13, 2004.

1. aj_tatted

aj_tatted 1/2 ton status

i need to re-shim the ring and pinion in my rearend. i've never done this and feel there's no time like the present to learn. can anyone tell me if there is anything special i need to know or tricks that might make it easier? any special tools i need? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

reshim?? was it done wrong?? There is a whole procedure for doing gears. A mag mount dial indicater will be needed. If you have to do a pinion gear, you would need a depth tool to do it right. What is the problem you are having??

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

5.13's

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    5.13's

[/ QUOTE ]
    the only reason i read this post was because i saw it was about gears and zakk was the last person to reply /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I must have ESP or something cause i knew what you typed

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    5.13's

[/ QUOTE ]
    the only reason i read this post was because i saw it was about gears and zakk was the last person to reply /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I must have ESP or something cause i knew what you typed

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. aj_tatted

aj_tatted 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    reshim?? was it done wrong?? There is a whole procedure for doing gears. A mag mount dial indicater will be needed. If you have to do a pinion gear, you would need a depth tool to do it right. What is the problem you are having??

[/ QUOTE ]

well, when i put the truck in neutral and crawl under there to check the driveline, there's about 2 full inch's of play. Also when i'm cruisin down the road, when i let up on the skinny there is a horrible noise coming from the rear.
    I'm assuming the ring and pinion are slapping aginst each other.
    the only procedure i have heard of to fix this is to take it out and shim it tight. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    do you concure? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

7. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    well, when i put the truck in neutral and crawl under there to check the driveline, there's about 2 full inch's of play.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have a detroit diff in there? i've heard they have all kinds of slop in them.

8. bablazer73

factory open carriers and some of the gov-locs will have alot of play in the spyder gears. Best to pull the cover off and check them. Usually gears don't need to be reshimmed. If they are loose, then something is wrong. If it's an open carrier, check the spyder gears and the shims behind them. They often break and cause extra play and noise.

9. aj_tatted

aj_tatted 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    well, when i put the truck in neutral and crawl under there to check the driveline, there's about 2 full inch's of play.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have a detroit diff in there? i've heard they have all
    kinds of slop in them.

[/ QUOTE ]
    there is a detroit in there, what would that do?not sure i understand where your goin with that.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    5.13's

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. bablazer73

I think, the bottom line is, your gonna have to pull the cover and see where your slack is.