Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 Bolt 6 lug to 8lug questions?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jul 24, 2000.

I found a good deal on a 14 bolt rear out of 78 3/4 ton.
    I've heard that all i need to do is replace my rotors and hubs for the 8 lug conversion.I was wondering if this is true,and if so what years you can use/and or part nombers.
    Any info would be very helpful,thanks.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Yuo need every thing from a D44 3/4 ton axel from the knuckels out. The rotors alone will not work. The parts are no longer available from chevrolet (xcept for the calipers, rotors, common things like that...). I am in the same boat as you, but i think I am going to buy a D44 3/4 ton axel and just do a swap.
    Good luck and let me know how it works out
    Brent

2. I have a 10 bolt not a dana 44.
    Didnt know if it matered?
    Thanks for the reply.

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Most Dana 44's and GM 10-bolts use the same parts from the knuckles out with some variations around the size of the wheel bearings. Your best bet might be to cross reference part numbers for the bearings, spindle and hubs of your existing parts and see what other years of either Dana 44's or 10-bolts match up.

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

It dont matter on the 10 bolt or d44 thing, the rotor is bigger on a 3/4 ton axel and the caliper needs to be higher. I have been told that you can get away with just switching the backingplate, rotor, caliper, ect and keeping the old knuckels..but here the junkyard wanted 50$ a piece for the rotors, 25$ a piece for the calipers and only if I bought those would they sell me the backingplates, jerks! So screw that I am getting a whole axel for 200$ with 4.56 installed, i have to exchange my 10 bolt, from a 4X4 lot in my area.

5. Makes since,Zack posted that he had some.
    I might see if he has any.
    Thanks

6. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I recently did this swap so here's what I know:
    1) You can swap out just the Rotors, Hubs and Backing plates from a 3/4 ton truck. The spindles are the same size as a 1/2 ton chevy. I got them just in case mine were too worn, but I didn't need to use them. So if you need the spindles for some reason, they are interchangable.
    2) You can buy all of the parts, except for the backing plates, at most auto parts stores. The rotors are about 50 bucks a piece, and the hubs are about 25 or 30 a piece. I had to buy new rotors b/c mine were a little thin.

It may be better to find a whole axle depending on what you need. My 10 bolt came off of a 70 3/4 ton longbed with a 14 bolt FF in the rear. Good luck hunting for parts.

BIGJ

7. So all i need are rotors and hubs from a 3/4 ton.
    Dont need backing plates or nothing?
    Thanks

8. BIGJ

Yes you do need the backing plates. Like I said above, those are just about the only thing you can't buy from the local auto parts store. You need them b/c the rotor is bigger, and the backing plates are bigger to accomodate the larger rotors.

BIGJ

9. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Hey BigJ...do you have the part numbers for those hubs from the auto parts store???
    That's a great price.

BTW, when I did my 8-lug, I bought: rotors from NAPA,
    United p/n 85677. I also got the NAPA pads p/n AE-728AM.
    And studs 9/16". 641-1298 Dorman.

I can feel the stronger braking and I find it kinda easy to get a squawk from the front rubber on hard braking.
    These NAPA pads replaced the previous set of Rancho semimetallic. I will use the NAPA pads and
    rotors from now on. The Rancho pads were noisey, dirty, wore out fast, scored my rotors,
    and didn't seem to me to work any better.

SteveB

10. BIGJ

I bought most of my stuff from autozone. I bought the rotors from auto zone. The hubs came from a small mom & pop parts store in town. They were his only set and he was happy to get rid of them. I think autozone was a little more expensive but not much. Studs were a buck a piece.

BIGJ

11. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Could you doulbe check the 10 bolt off a 70 3/4 ton longbead ?
    Do you want to sell those extra spindles ?

12. BIGJ

Was a typo. Supposed to be 79. Good editing on your part.

BIGJ

13. Thanks for all the help fella K5ers!!
    I sure am glad i found this web sight!!!