Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt 8 lug conversion, questions on knuckles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grizz84, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Grizz84

Grizz84 Registered Member

I've read the write up in the tech department and it left me with a couple of unanswered questions on what im wanting to do. I've got a 10 bolt under the front and i've talked to alot of people about doing a 8 lug 44 conversion and pretty much concluded that the strength difference between the two doesn't amount to changing the whole axel out. Im wanting to do crossover steering as well and ive managed to get a set of flat top 44 knuckles for 40 bucks. Neither knuckles had any parts left on them since the axle they came from was pretty much stripped to the nibby. What spindles would i need to go on the knuckles to do the 8 lug conversion? Could i just use my stock 10 bolt spindles with the 8 lug hubs/rotors? Also, does the big bearing spindles/hubs add meritable strength to the 10 bolt....or is it even worth concerning myself with. Im getting ready to put in my 14ff and need to know what to do about these spindles. Thanks.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

As long as your spindles and rotors and bearings all match, i.e. are from the same axle to begin with, sure, use them.

I did this, using an early-80's 8-lug 10-bolt, and put on flat-top knuckles from my '74. You won't need anything from the D44 but the knuckles, as the rest of the parts interchange.

Make sense?

-- A

3. Grizz84

So basically it doesn't matter what size bearing the Dana 44 was to begin with, just as long as i use 10 bolt 8 lug spindles, hubs, and bearings....it all bolts up. I guess my next question would be, is the 6 and 8 lug 10 bolt versions the same bearing/spindle size as each other? If i could use my stock 6 lug spindles it would save me a little dough.

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You can use your 6 lug spindles. They are all the same except for the early D44 spindles. As long as they are around 77 or newer they are all compatible.

5. Grizz84

preciate it