Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 Bolt about to blow! UPDATED!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cavalry, May 28, 2001.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    My rear 10 is about to blow! (sounds like I am running boggers when accelerating) I really dont care 'cause I have my 14 bolt waiting. The problem is I slated everything for later this summer for the swaps. How much can I run this axle howling. Whats going to happen when it blows? I have been fevershly trying to get my other truck back together so I have a ride still (looks like later this week) Thanks All!

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Re: 10 Bolt about to blow!

A friend of mines blew. He didn't even now it was going out. He stopped at police station to get a deer signed off. And went out to start it and it was totally locked up. He couldn't even move. He diconnect the drive line to drive it home in 4 wheel drive and no good. He had to have it towed........Dan

3. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

Since I still have slip yolks pullin' the rear shaft to get home is kinda out of the question. Hopefully it'll explode all over the place so I can get some nice pics...hehehe

Luke
    84 K5

4. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

The 10 bolt in my 89 lasted about 2 weeks when the noise got that loud. Thats driving 40-50 miles a day 6 days a week.

5. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

This is todays update....Blew some teeth of the ring gear I think (jumps and bucks wildly when acc from a stop and clunks pretty loud around corners) I guess we will see how far she goes!

Luke
    84 K5

6. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

when mine was goin out i was jumpin on the freeway and i punched it....and it just started grinding..i just sliped it into 4x4 and drove it like that with the gears grinding..i figured it couldent hurt it any more than it already was

Donations accepted for the "Build Chaz's 1972 K5 fund"!!!

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

This sucks. Mine's about to go to I think. Right when the money's tightening down too...

Ratch
    **Hmmm. Land or Mall? Land or Mall? Let's see. Lotsa SUV's around here... Let's build a mall.**

8. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

There is a chance that it can lock up while driving, most likely snapping the driveshaft.....If you are unlucky the front u-joint will snap and act as a poll vault...mine did this in the woods...Was't so bad because it was on the dirt. Pavement may be another story........Just be careful, I'd hate to hear you messed up the rest of your driveline over it all.
    Mike

You call that dirty!?

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Mpascino has an excellent point here!!! This is NOT a good idea to try and 'hot rod' the truck until the rearend blows up!!! I did that once on my old 81 short bed truck. The nut on the pinion fell off and locked up the pinion inside the pumpkin. At the same time the nut fell off, the whole driveshaft fell out too. It was a slip joint shaft and when it fell out, I ran over it by accident and ruined it!!! Another part to buy after replacing the rearend!!! [​IMG] Not exactly cheap, but if I were you and the rear is getting worse, PARK IT, and get it fixed or swap a different axle in. DO NOT try to blow it up!!! [​IMG]

When In Doubt, Whip It Out!