Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt and engine swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85blazer350, Sep 5, 2001.

1. 85blazer350

85blazer350 Registered Member

Ive just bought a 85 blazer when i bought it it had a worn out 305 so i picked up a cheap 350 thats at the machine shop.my question is what all will i need to change when the engine is swapped in.Also theire was oil leaking out of the t case so I pulled the tranny and theire was some mud where the shaft comes out the front so i drained the oil and put my finger in the drain hole and theire was mud and possibly metal how hardi s it to rebuild an np-208.1 last question will the 10 bolt rear end hold up to the 35 mud kings AND HOW HARD WILL IT BE TO SWAPP in a 14 bolt

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I know I would not run 35's on my 10 bolt rear. My rearend has held up on 32's for a while, but it had to be rebuilt after I blew the gov lock on the street. The 10 bolt might survive on 35's depending on how you wheel. If your going to wheel hard carry spare parts or swap to something better.

3. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

harmonic balancer and flexplate/flywheel will need to be changed w/ the swap. Everything else is interchangeable.

You know who I am

4. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

WELCOME, I see this is your first post. 10 bolt rears are notorious for breaking. I ran 35's on my stock 10 bolts for about a year and it finally broke a couple weeks ago. I believe if they are geared right and mantained regularly, they would hold up for a while. It all depends on how you drive. But in my opinion its not worth dumping money into a 10 bolt when swapping in a 14 bolt is cheaper. You just need to get one from a 3/4 ton truck and it will bolt right in. You will need 8 lug rims though. But you can't beat the piece of mind that the 14 bolt gives you. They're almost indestructable. I just did the swap last week and am very pleased.

It looks like you have a big project on your hands. You've come to the right place. Just hang out a while and you will learn a lot.

Rod
    Alameda, CA
    85 K5 6"ProComp 35"Boggers... and it's still not BIG ENOUGH!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/K5Jungle>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/K5Jungle</a>