Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt axlshaft u-joint removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dyeager535, May 10, 2002.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Ok, thanks to those that replied with part #'s, I felt confident the local parts store would have what I needed, so I pulled the axleshaft out.

One of the caps top is broken off, so you can see what the heedle bearings are supposed to ride on...

My question is, what the heck are the caps that are OVER the u-joint? This is a spicer piece, it has c-clips which I took off, but these "caps" won't come off. They appear to be the caps of the u-joint, but not like the driveshaft joints...

So are these "caps" actually part of the u-joint cap, or are they covers for the caps? I tried chiseling one off (didn't work lol) just to see if it would move. I read up on previous posts, mention was made of injected plastic and heat (no problem in that department) but there was no mention of these odd caps. Just want to make sure that applying heat to them will free up those caps, and that there isn't something trickier that needs done.

Probably in my service manual, but going right over to the "shop" (dad has a press) after work here, and the shaft is already in the back of the truck...appreciate any and all help.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Those are the U-joint caps. They can be a real bitch to remove...
    After the C-clips are removed the caps need to be pressed outwards, a big socket underneath it and a BFH with a drift of some sort works for me. The last one I did the caps were so seized in the yoke ends I had to remove the body of the u-joint with a cut off wheel so I could pound the caps better...

Rene

3. dyeager535

So can I just take a cutoff wheel and grind the "lips" of those caps off, so I could just press it through like a "normal" driveshaft u-joint? With the one cap already completely gone, I should be able to press at least one out that will tell me for sure I guess. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Thanks!

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

They have to come outwards...the opposite of a normal u-joint.

Rene

5. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

When I replaced mine they were about 17 years old, I had to use a torch and cut out the middle and heat them up big time so I could knock them out with a punch. Before I did that I bent a 6 ton press on one of them so I knew they were gonna be really stubborn.

6. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Do a search or check 72THING's posts. He wrote a stinkin book on how to R&R an axle Ujoint.

7. dyeager535

Cool, appreciate that, I *knew* someone had to have written it up, but couldn't find it with the search.