Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt bearing spindle question - please provide assistance!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by IGOR, Aug 3, 2003.

1. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm putting my front 3/4 ton 10 bolt back together (from an 85 K20) and decided to replace the inner spindle bearing - how in the heck do I get this bearing out without destroying it -

And also...

How do you get the outer piece of one of these bearings out of the spindle after you've already destroyed one? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

2. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

to remove the inner bearing and seal without hurting it most of the time...remove the outer bearing,then put the rotor back on and one spindle nut threaded on just a bit,pull hard on the rotor,the spindle nut will hold the bearing and the inner seal on the spindle /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif then just lay the rotor on a flat surface get a long punch or drift and then u can pound out the races...i usually hurt the races when removing them...hope this helps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That's not the bearing I'm talking about -

I'm not talking about the bearings in the hub -

This particular bearing is in the backside of the inside of the spindle - right where the axleshaft goes through the spindle...

This is my first 10 bolt rebuild - I don't think Dana 44s have this bearing...

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Use a blind end puller, then you can either slide hammer it out or flip the spindle over and use a punch to drive it out.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I just took a piece of 3/8" bar stock i had laying around, bend the last 2" or 3" at about a 10* to 15* angle and tapped it out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    This is my first 10 bolt rebuild - I don't think Dana 44s have this bearing...

[/ QUOTE ]

44's have the bearing.
    The spindles are interchangable between 10 bolt and D44- As long as you have the correct bearing hub to match the spindle.

7. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

ohh my bad /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif.....ya my 44 has those little bearings,hehe the one i pay no attention to at all /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif...

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I just did this on my Jeep with a Dana 30 front. (the spindle looked very similar to my 10 bolt) I used a slide hammer. I took the axleshaft out of the rig. Then I put the spindle back on its bolt, but I installed 180* backward. I put the 6 spindle nuts on the studs but didn't tighten them all the way down. Just enough to get good thread contact. Then I used the 3 jaw puller on the slide hammer and they popped right out. They were 30 year old bearings and were shot, but they came right out without problem.

Harley