Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt carnage with PICS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bhintz, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

went wheeling the other day the bust the 10 bolt w/ 35s in mud crack the cap off the u-joint and it cracked the ujoint a little a twisted the inner axle off very nicely [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

and when it happened I was pulling out a Furd but still got him out in 3 wheel drive /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif it sound like a 12ga going off and made 2 of my buddies jump like little girls /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

3. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I'll bet that 1 ton gear is lookin' pretty tasty bout now!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Look at it this way, at least it died doing something you liked, right? /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

That's all it did. I wish I would have taken pics of my last break. I twisted the axle just like you did. And exploded the u-joint. When that happens the ears on the axle blow up too, and beat the crap out of your ball joints. It sure is a pain to repair any axle break though isn't it?

5. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Thats funny. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Try using full circle snap rings to keep the cap from walking out.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

To avoid the caps coming out I tack weld them in place so they won't/can't walk. The inner there is nothing to do for that though.

I have seen TheRobZilla change out a snapped long side inner shaft in a D44 in 30 minutes or so. It was pretty slick to watch. It was like he had done it before. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Hopefully Chromo's will solve his problem, but I think next wheeling season I might get a fair amount of practice myself with my 10 bolt and 35's. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

ears and ball joints were fine I just put in 2wd and drove it home then I fixed it w/ this [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

9. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

That makes the fix fairly simple. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    That makes the fix fairly simple. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And relatively permenant to boot. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Geeze how do you break 10 bolt fronts all the time. Honest to God i have broken 1 super winch hub and im running 35" BFG's or 36" Iroks depending on what im doing. I usually have the ARB locked up all the time and my shafts still have the stock u-joints. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Of course it is a 30 spline unit.

12. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

skinny pedal never helps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

That makes sense /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    ears and ball joints were fine I just put in 2wd and drove it home then I fixed it w/ this [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Now, let's see some pics of that thing installed!

15. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

yea yea I know I got everything I need a guy over on PS just hasnt sent me the damn ubolts and once i get in I get you some wheel pics from tellico /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif