Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt carrier fell out the other day!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rick88blaze, Jan 13, 2004.

1. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I was stripping apart my 10 bolts that I pulled out of my K5 last week and the whole carrier just fell out of the rear one when I took the bearing caps off. Is this normal? I'm posting about this just to cure my curiousity about this. Other than taking it apart, I don't really now a whole lot about ring and pinion setups. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Oh yeah, I did check for play in the carrier bearings before I unbolted the caps and it had about 1/4" of play in them. I might not know much about R&P's, but I do know that that much play in any bearing is a bad thing. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Rick

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The play in the bearings is probably what allowed it to fall out. You usually have to pry on them a little to get them out and tap them a little to put them in. The bigger the axle the bigger the pry bar, and the bigger the hammer.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah some are in real tight and some arent, it just depends.

good luck

4. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah some are in real tight and some arent, it just depends.

good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't worry about it. I was just tearing them apart so I could try and sell off the parts from them. I've got the D44/12 bolt combo in now, so most of these 10 bolt parts won't do me much good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rick