Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10-bolt carrier trouble

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blue85, Sep 12, 2000.

1. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Don't you just love it when you discover (or create) a new problem while you're fixing another one?

So I had my axle apart to get my lug nuts off (stupid stripped studs!) and after I had grunted and huffed to get my wheel, tire, drum and axleshaft off as a single assembly (16.5x10 steel wheels are heavy :) ) I found a problem with the insides of my 10-bolt. No, don't be shocked :)

Now, before I ask for suggestions I am going to ask you all to please refrain from such responses as "Buy a 14-bolt" or "The only two repairs for 10-bolts are dumpsters and dynamite." I AM in the process of choosing a rear-end upgrade (for my truck, not liposuction :) ), but I don't have the money yet and haven't found the right thing. My goal right now is to look into an inexpensive way to improve the performance of my 10-bolt diff. Besides, this axle is perfect if you overlook a few details, i.e. Worn out, weak, open differential and wrong gear ratio.

Sooo, here's the problem. There is some slop in the upper and lower spider gears (not the gears that have the ends of the axleshafts in them). As torque is applied to the input pinion (or either tire), there is a little bit of front-to-back movement of the top and bottom gears inside the carrier. This problem has been there at least to some extent ever since I bought the truck. Even with new U-joints, there is a clunk when dropping the tranny into gear. I always thought that the ring and pinion were loose, but the problem is in the differential. With that said, here are my questions:

-How much for new carrier gears and a new cross pin?

-Do all four spider gears need to be replaced as once?

-Will a Lock right replace all of these parts? It might fix all of my problems + provide an upgrade.

I think that the spider gears can be replaced without removing the carrier from the axle. Please correct me If I'm wrong about this.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

2. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

I would think that it might be easier to locate a 10-bolt rear at a salvage yard that has the same lug pattern and gear ratio. I would upgrade to a richmond gear BUT if you are going stock anyway until you get to a bigger rear build up why not wait and hit the bone yard Once you start messing with spider gears and back lash and new ring and pinion you have to get a pinion depth gauge ,dial indicator, and set it up right or BOOM. If you do get one from a yard take the cover off to confirm the gear ratio and to check it out.....JS

3. Blue85

Can't the spider gears be changed without messing with the ring and pinion setup? This would be a lot easier than swapping axles or carriers. If I'm going to do that, the axle I put on won't be a 10-bolt.

'85 JIMMY
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

4. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Not to stray from the topis at hand but, I dont have any of the proper tools, wasnt even sure what I was doing. I put all new gears in mine, I am sure they arent right, yet I have been kicking the S&%T out of them and they are still going strong. I am also looking into a lockright, I believe they do replace all of the internal carrier gears, and might solve your problem. Let me know if you go that route... GOOD LUCK

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

5. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

A lock-rite will replace the spiders. Any "lunchbox" locker will and you do not disturb the carrier during installation.
    You will normally use the stock cross pin. You will need one if yours is worn out. If your 10 bolt is truly "worn out" as you say, a junkyard replacement could make sense. Just check it out carefully. It could be worse than what you have now.
    John

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.

6. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

I just swapped in new spiders in a gov-lock. It doesn't mess with the set up of the rear-end, but it ain't cheap. top and bottom gears were 75.00. They are simple to replace, just remove the cross shaft and carefully roll the old ones out and the new ones in. If I had an open diff I'd simply get a detroit c-locker. It'll beef up your existing 10 bolt, and you can sell it for a good price when you upgrade, try selling a used gov-lock.

"who dares wins"

7. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

PS, all the spiders for your diff will be close to 300.00. If your side gears aren't chewed up you can just replace the top and bottom, No guarantee they won't fail soon though. The detroit c-locker replaces the whole carrier. That's what I'm going to soon.

"who dares wins"

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The Lock-Rite will replace the spider gears and you shouldn't have to mess with the carrier in most situations (as long as the cross pin and spiders clear the ring gear). The Detroit C-locker would be much stronger but is also more expensive and would require the entire rear end to be set back up.

9. Blue85

Apparently, the kit from GM is $330. It has all 4 spiders, 4 washers, the shaft and the pin. That's a lot of money when you can get a lock-rite for $200 something. Out of curiousity, I asked about a new gov-lock unit. They are $660. You can get an ARB and compressor for that! Boy, that would be a tough choice.

'85 JIMMY
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

10. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Don't you just love it when you discover (or create) a new problem while you're fixing another one?

So I had my axle apart to get my lug nuts off (stupid stripped studs!) and after I had grunted and huffed
    to get my wheel, tire, drum and axleshaft off as a single assembly (16.5x10 steel wheels are heavy :) )
    I found a problem with the insides of my 10-bolt. No, don't be shocked :)

Now, before I ask for suggestions I am going to ask you all to please refrain from such responses as
    "Buy a 14-bolt" or "The only two repairs for 10-bolts are dumpsters and dynamite." I AM in the
    process of choosing a rear-end upgrade (for my truck, not liposuction :) ), but I don't have the money
    yet and haven't found the right thing. My goal right now is to look into an inexpensive way to improve
    the performance of my 10-bolt diff. Besides, this axle is perfect if you overlook a few details, i.e. Worn
    out, weak, open differential and wrong gear ratio.

Sooo, here's the problem. There is some slop in the upper and lower spider gears (not the gears that
    have the ends of the axleshafts in them). As torque is applied to the input pinion (or either tire), there
    is a little bit of front-to-back movement of the top and bottom gears inside the carrier. This problem
    has been there at least to some extent ever since I bought the truck. Even with new U-joints, there is
    a clunk when dropping the tranny into gear. I always thought that the ring and pinion were loose, but
    the problem is in the differential. With that said, here are my questions:

-How much for new carrier gears and a new cross pin?

GM DEaler over 300.00 If you don't mind mail order under 125.00

-Do all four spider gears need to be replaced as once?

No, but if all four gears have a wear pattern on them, replacing all makes sense

-Will a Lock right replace all of these parts? It might fix all of my problems + provide an upgrade.

Yes, but your cross shaft might need replacing.

I think that the spider gears can be replaced without removing the carrier from the axle. Please correct
    me If I'm wrong about this.

'85 JIMMY
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

11. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Check $ wheel parts Whosalers for a spider gear set. I seem to remember them having good prices on my 12 bolt spider gears.