Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt carrier

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by archer, Nov 12, 2001.

1. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

Aug 17, 2000
    I have a spare gm 10 bolt rear end. Is it easier to go through the hassle of measuring spring perches and shock mounts to swap out the whole thing, or would I be better off just to ditch my carrier, attatch my ring & pinion and pay to have the gears set up? Thanks in advance for your help.

"who dares wins"
  2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dec 13, 2000
    Why would you have to change spring perches? Is this not a truck 10 bolt?

Gear set up CAN be expensive, best call around on prices first. If you don't mess with the factory GM gear set up (removing, re-installing) it should last you damn near forever.

If you ask me, the best solution if possible, and if you don't want to spend any more money than necessary, is to inspect whatever axle (complete) you want to use, make sure bearings and gears etc are in good shape, and swap it in complete.

Either way though (swapping internals or swapping housings) they are used parts, with no guarantee on longevity. If you are easy on the truck, and have money, get new gears and bearings, and have the complete axle rebuilt. If you aren't easy on the truck, save your money and upgrade to a 14b now. : )

My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?
  3. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Oct 17, 2000
    I don't really understand your question ???

The spare GM 10 bolt you have ......... is it from a 1/2 ton truck? If so, it should line right up, no problem.

Are you asking about upgrading the rear to a 12 or 14 bolt or something?

-- '84 1-Ton Blazer --
    When the goin' gets tough,
    the tough go 1-Ton [​IMG]