Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt/dana44 part swaps

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jan 18, 2001.

I have read that the front gm 10 bolt is very close in design to a front dana 44. does anyone know if you can put the knuckles or spindles/hubs from an 8 lug 10 bolt onto my half ton 6 lug dana 44 thereby creating an 8 lug pattern on my 44 to match the 14 bolt I just bought for the rear. the 10 bolt is 1979 3/4ton truck the dana 44 is stock 1978 my blazer came with. How strong are these 3/4 ton 10 bolts.

p.s. someone asked about 12 bolt experience. well my first break involved spinning the housing on the tubes so that my pinion pointed straight up. the replacement 12 bolt then lost all the teeth on the ring and pinion in one slow rockcrawling crunch. first break was with 33" mt's and 3.73 gears second break was with 36"swampers and 3.73's

1. RUSS84K5

RUSS84K5 1/2 ton status

the spindles,hubs/rotors,breaks will all fit on the D44. I have a 84 10Bolt with 83 8 lug hubs and rotors, and 77 D44 nuckles that have been drilled and taped for tierod over the spring and x-over steering. The 3/4 ton 10 bolts are no stronger than the 1/2 ton stuff. They just have larger dia rotors. The D44 has a thicker tube and the inner shafts are 31 splline, the 10 Bolts are 28 and 30 for the 88 and up ones. I think the outter shafts will swap and the u-joints

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Everything from the knuckles out should be interchangeable between the 10-bolts and Dana 44. The inner splines on the Dana 44 are 30-spline, while most front 10-bolts are 28-spline (except for some '89-'91's which are 30-spline, but not the same as the 44). The outer stub axles are the same between the 10-bolt and 44.
    Overall strength between the two are pretty similar.

3. extremeblazer

extremeblazer 1/2 ton status

I just performed this same swap invoving my dana 44 in my 1975 Blazer and a 1979 3/4 ton parts truck with a ten bolt. All i needed to use off the 3/4 ton was the spindles, hub housings and rotors. It all bolted in with no problems. The 3/4 ton has larger bearings in the hub housing so you needed the 3/4 ton spindles with the larger bearing area. Also the calipers are the same and bolt in, note in '79 the 3/4 tons had regular 1/2 ton pads and the (heavy duty) larger pads, and they both work with the blazer calipers. So go larger.

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Everybody is pretty much right on here, 10 bolt and D44 are pretty much equivalent and most of the parts swap from the knuckles out. The only bearings that are different are the external spline 3/4T hubs, then you might have to keep track of the spindle also.
    As for brakes, there was a HD 3/4 ton with a bigger caliper that bolted into the same size mount. Otherwise the calipers interchange. Rotors are bigger on the 3/4T

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, you guys said it right. Also, you cant swap inner shafts from the 44 and 10 with eachother as the lengths are different. There were different spindles from what chevy called the first design and second design. The first was on older, I think pre-76, and used the smaller bearings. The second design is what has been used from the , I think 77 and newer, up to the current 87 K series, or up to 91 K5's, and have the bigger bearing everybody is so common with. Even brake backing plates were different with the first and second designs.

6. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

So to clearify, with a yes or no please, all I need from a d44 to go on my 10b is:spindle, backing plates, rotor/hubs. And the caliper is the same and I do not have to change it. TIA

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com</A>
    Protect the land FOR the people
    Not FROM the people

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yes. The calipers are the same. You can use the 1/2 ton pads or the 3/4 ton pads, they both fit the calipers. The 3/4 ton pads are a little bigger (duh!) [​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]