Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 BOLT EXPLOSIONS

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mikee, Mar 21, 2001.

1. Mikee

Mikee 1/2 ton status

IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO A 10/12 BOLT REAR TO MAKE IT BULLET PROOF. LIKE GOOD GEARS, A LOCKER, AND SOME TOUGH ASS AXLES. I KNOW PUT A 14 BOLT YEAH YEAH YEAH. DID THAT ONCE BOUGHT NEW TIRE, RIMS, DRIVESHAFTS, AND IT STILL BLEW. I'D RATHER BUILD MY 12 BOLTER TO HANDLE SOME ABUSE AND SAVE THAT HASSLE AND WEIGHT, AND GROUND CLEARANCE. I JUST GRENADED ANOTHER FACTORY LOCKED 10 BOLT. THIS TIME I'M FIXING IT FOR GOOD. ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED.

"Got stuck once, hung up on top of a Jeep!"

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

If you managed to grenade a 14-bolt, then there's not a thing you can do to a 10-bolt to make it strong enough for you.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

3. Sammy

Sammy 1/2 ton status

put an ARB airlocker in it, put those strong axles in, and weld up the outer axle at the point of enering the housing. Up to 36, you'll be fine without doing any rock crawling.

"K5 Grand GT Silverado in the Netherlands."

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Not sure what you are running, but if it is over 36's would probably bite the bullet and get the 3/4 ton or higher stuff. Then you have enough clearance anyways... also not sure what you do offroad... sand and mud is much easier then rockcrawling. The ARB would actually break more stuff ... it will expose the weak link very quick... a LSD would be nicer. Chances are the 14 you got was in bad shape is all I can figure. BUT... to your question... call Stephen at Offroad Design... I believe he has his old set of axles for sale which would save you the work. But Warn FF kit will pretty much bulletproof them as much as possible.... although upgrading the axles shafts and new wider green bearings in the rear would be a cheaper option, although not quite as strong... also would get replacement caps and arb studs put in (hold carrier in if it is confusing) They can be had from Mark williams or Drivetrain direct. Last of you do have some weak links that you can't beef up much... hubs up front... supremes is about all you can do... also not a lot you can do w/ the frt axle shaft (or wheel) U-jt's... I know precision makes a good HD one..#377. Is what is going in my D44... then of course wheel studs and lugs.... but this may be getting way to in depth so I'll leave it at that. Feel free to ask around... many running these axles... Just hope to get mine done soon[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I would go with Detroits frotn and rear, Custom Alloy Axles, stronger Main bearing caps, Diff covers with main bearing supports, axle truss(over the axles).... Also, go with a FF kit for the rear 12 bolt and buy good gears like Richmond....

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

6. Mikee

Mikee 1/2 ton status

This truck is my daily driver, but has lots of tourque and hp. I think it is the jolt from the shift kit snapping this things to little pieces. I run 33" tires, and 3.73's, and don't do any serious wheeling with it. I just blew a factory locked 10 bolt, and have a 12bolt to put back in. I'lll look into these uogrades, maybe 14bolt is the way to go. I already have a 14/10bolt combo with 4.10's that i could bolt right in. I guess thats probably the way to go, i've never really broken the frnt other than an autolocking hub, and the truck rarely sees 4x4 anyhow.Thanks for all the insight guys, hopefully your help helps me make my mind up

"Got stuck once, hung up on top of a Jeep!"

7. bigerik

bigerik 1/2 ton status

I would bolt up the 14 bolt that I had sitting there. Good luck! You must have a heavy right foot!