Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt front auto to manual hubs Q?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TopOff, May 23, 2002.

1. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

What's this in there??? An 18 SPLINE??!?!?!?!

I THOUGHT it was supposed to be a 28 or a 30 spline!??

Further the WARN premiums don't go all the way in! I need to move the hub in another 1/8" so the snap ring will go in the groove.

What am I doing wrong? &
    Why do I only have 18 splines?

It is an 8 lug with an ARB. I haven't had to do a thing to this in the last five years of wheeling on the rocks. Maybe I should change the oil??? *chuckle*

TIA

2. dbltapp

dbltapp 1/2 ton status

I beleive that the 28 or 30 spline is the inside count, close to the pumpkin. I could be wrong! Can't help with the other stuff,sorry.

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

You talking about their axle shafts.... 10b fronts went to 30 spline in 89... before that they were 28 spline.... do you have too much grease packed in there? Mine were a @!#$% to get in... so that might be a normal thing!!

4. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Remove the snap ring that is next to the lock nut, just use the snap ring that comes with the hubs and put it at the end of the axle.

5. efilnikufecin

efilnikufecin 1/2 ton status

try holding the u-joint area of the axle shaft and make sure your shaft is pushed all the way out(towards the lock-out).when you push your lock out on your also pushing the axle shaft in a little so make sure you push it back out i think that's why you can get the snap ring on.it helps to have someone to hold it while you try and get that snap ring in place.

6. efilnikufecin

efilnikufecin 1/2 ton status

the inner axle is 28 spline the stub shaft is 18 spline.so don't freak out.all of them are 18

7. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

This 10 bolt is from a 90 3/4 ton suburban. That's what the yard I bought them from told me any way.

It sounds like it MIGHT have too much grease inside??? Seems weird but... OK. I will clean it up a bit.

8. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

To reiterate, I push the axle u-joint towards the outer part of the axle, and push the hub ONTO the axle right?
    Would this not push my hub further out of the hub carrier?

OR

Should I push the axle u-joint towards the pumpkin? There by allowing my hub to go further into the hub carrier?

I am using (trying) the snap ring that came with the hub.

I remember reading about auto to hub KITS? Does anyone think I need one of these kits?

Thanks for the help.