Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt front axle seal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Me89'Jimmy, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Me89'Jimmy

Me89'Jimmy 1/2 ton status

im replacing the front axle seal on the right side of the axle right, i look in the manual which tells me nothing about removal except that there are two spacers on either side of it, is there anyway i can pull those suckers out of there without decimating the spacer or taking out the guts of the diff?

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

only way i know is to pull the guts from the diff & use a long rod to hammer the old seal out into the diff.

3. Me89'Jimmy

ah crap, /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif would it be possible to rig something up to put down the axle from the wheel side that would hook to the seal so i could pull it out the wheel side or is there some notch in the way that would prevent me from doing that?

4. CrazyCoot

CrazyCoot Registered Member

No, pull the diff.

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Honestly, it's easy to take the carrier out and put it back in. Just remember the orientation of the caps, the shims, and the races. It only gets tricky when you change the gears or play around with the pinion.

Yes, you have to take the carrier out to replace the seal. I've learned that they're stuck in there pretty well and require a piece of metal rod or flatstock to get them out because a piece of dowel will just split.

You already did the hardest part, yanking out the axle shafts.

6. Me89'Jimmy

ok ill give it a shot and see what happens, thanks for the help gentleman