Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt front axle???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85 Shortbox, Jan 5, 2003.

1. 85 Shortbox

85 Shortbox 1/2 ton status

What is the biggest tire recommended to run on a 10 bolt front axle. I currently run 35's but was wondering for a future build-up if with some alloy shafts I could get away with bigger and not be fixing it all the time. I am thinking about the 38x11 boggers for trail/mud use.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would not run anything larger than a 35" tire on a 10 bolt diff. I also would not run more than 4.56's and that may be pushing it depending on how you drive your rig.

3. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

UM Question.... Why not run bigger tires and gears???
    The ORD site specifically says with the axle upgrade kit for the front you can run 37's and 38's if your not a rock crawler. So that pretty much sum's it up for me! Also if your running a 3 series carrier why not run a 4:88 gear, it just means it's thicker and that to me meant stronger. So unless I'm missing something here I dont see a problem with the idea, alot of people do it here on the site with out problems. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

You can do several things to beef your 10 bolt, but they all cost a good chunk of change.
    Add up alloy inners and outers.
    CTMs are strong, but not designed for DD. For trail rig only. So 297 (or even the new 760) is going to be the weak point.
    It's a sobering fact that even if it manages to live with bigger tires, it won't like it.
    You know the cure, and it doesn't have the number 10 or 44 in it.
    -- Mike

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

As for gears, its not the thickness of the ring gear that is a concern but rather how small the pinion gets with anything lower than 4.56's. Larger tires tend to make more strain on axles and u-joints, like mudder said, the cure doesn't have 10 or 44 in the eqaution.

6. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

hey 20 below... not to piss on your parade.. but go look at the size of a u-joint in the front of a 10 bolt.... then go put your front tire against a tree and give it a little gas in 4 wheel drive... count to 10... did you make it to 3??? no....

Yeah for pavement it's cool..... off road... bring parts to fix it... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I ran 38.5 boggers on my stock 10 bolt held up good for 4 years broke 2 u-joints which took out the ears on the axles. I run mud alot and even do some mud bog competitions. When comparing the cost of upgrading your 10 bolt to cost of a 60 (which will need rebuilt) you will be ahead of the game at first but in the long run is it worth it when the 10 bolt breaks, it all depends on you and how you use your truck. Not everybody needs a D60 especially since they don't grow on trees. A well built 10 bolt or D44 will hold up to 38 or bigger but will break eventually. Even a stock D60 will break in time.

8. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

"Piss on my parade"....HELLO like I said ORD specifically said this so go "piss" on Steven's parade. The true way to do this is to go D60 ..BUT like one of the other OPEN minded members said it COSTS and for the time being it will work fine and that was the question!!! Your cheesy scenario is just that CHEESY. I have ran 36" Tsl radials Hard on my 44 wihtout problem.....Sooner or later it will happen but for now it's working fine! If ORD wasn't sure of there shafts they wouldn't tell you they can handle it and that was with the smaller U-joints. They do say the U-joint is the weakest link but I think every body and there brother know's that! So as far as what was asked YES they will work with a good driver, a lead foot with a 10 bolt or 44 is just STUPID. Use some wisdom with the small axles and they will be fine.... for now.
    //
    Also... thx for the info on the pinion being smaller I thought that might be the reason but then I know ALOT of people do it without problems. Does make sense! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif